6.Words

"There is nothing in this world that can trouble you more than your own thoughts."*

"Sri, you know how much I love you but if you keep up this act I am definitely going to kill you. " Adi screeched at my impatience.

We were in the shopping mall, the following week. She was in search of a perfect dress for an approaching wedding of her cousin and me being the 'best' friend was obliged to join her.

Okay, I knew it's not exactly an obligation but I was certainly not the most patient person alive, especially in the case of shopping.

A very well known character of mine.

Keeping this factor in mind I was assured that she dragged me just to mess with me.
Another reason for my annoyance as I threatened to leave her on her own if she couldn't find a dress in next fifteen minutes.

"Killing is exaggerated! You will simply lock me up! That's the best you can do. " I said cheekly.

"Are you mocking me,Sri? If I wish I can you give you silent treatment too. Ok!?! "
She huffed.

I gave her a look which clearly said are-you-trying-to fool-me.
"Really? I haven't seen it working five years back and I don't think it will work now! "

Ignoring me she continued her hunt as I dutifully gave my comments in between.

Within another hour we finally made our way out of the shop. She chose a beautiful royal blue lehenga for herself which I totally approved.

To be honest I had only thought Ha! Finally!

"Are you coming home tonight? " She questioned as we settled down in a nearby restaurant.

"Not today! I promise you within two days
I will come. " I continued seeing her glare, "I will have to stay back in the centre tonight. Its my night duty. "

Nodding her head, she spoke
"Oh! I see thats the reason why my ever busy best friend rang me up to check my schedule."

She spoke referring to my call in the morning. I had no plans for the day and called her to know she too took a break for the day.

She wanted to go shopping and thus got me to join her, guilt-triping me of my busy schedule nowadays.

Soon we were in between a pile of dresses.

She understood I was in need of some company and found an exact solution to distract me.

I should actually appreciate her but her method was not the most fun loving in my view.

I just stayed silent to let her know I was still miffed at her.

Ignoring my antics she questioned,
"But you opted for day duty right? Isn't there some duty distribution? "

"Oh yeah! This is just for today! Someone asked me to fill me in. Maybe I will move into night duty later on. "

It was a silent lunch from then. Both of us knew how hectic our days had been. It was just the company of our favorite person that we were striving for.

Sharing the lunch with my partner since forever was just the same. Thus reminding me of some constants while everything else was changing around.

-------------

She was in a dark alley running away from the footsteps approaching her from behind.

Her legs were shaky. Breaths laboured. She was dripping with her own sweat. But she knew she had to run, she had to save herself.