23. Embrace

"Stop fighting the same demons of the past. Move on. Embrace the changes. Focus the future . Build your dreams."

There are times when I couldn't wrap my head around the changes that happened in the last few months.

Like right now.

It was Tuesday night and I was in a video call with Keyra. She would ring me every other day. But this time she had the whole family assembled with her for the video call.

"Di show us your apartment."

"Hm..Now?"

"Why not?"

"I want to show you when you all come here. Maybe like a surprise." I don't have any inhibition in showing them but this way just didn't feel right. I want to directly see their expression to my place and want to know what they think. In phone everything seem polished.

"And when will that be?"

"Maybe for Christmas? It is just three weeks away. Maybe you all can take a trip here."

I could see they were contemplating the idea and left it that. Keyra would finalize everything. The girl is definitely is in a run to make up for all the missing years.

I have decided that I would visit dad before this impending visit. I wanted to keep things balanced. It was a necessity more than anything and a trip to Delhi would clear the last bit of tension there too.

I didn't think I was pushing myself too much but I could feel a small storm bubbling inside me. Maybe the feelings are too overwhelming.

During the volunteer meeting on Monday I did put forward how I would want to cut short on my hours to make time for the job search because of my course ending.

On Wednesday I had to attend the meeting with the legal and medical team as I was deeply involved in a case that came last week.

The case was of domestic violence and we already had everything to put the accused husband in jail. We didn't have to work ourselves to exhaustion this time but still it was intense. The victim had already complained to the police last month but apparently it wasn't enough.

Last week the husband came back to show who was in control of his house. He beat his wife and their two kids. The neighbors called the police and the victims were transported here.

It is always difficult to see when the people who are meant to protect turn to monsters that you hide away from.

After the primary therapy and the legal cases, like any other case they would be moved to another home if they could manage on their own or else to some NGOs reserved for these cases.

Our meeting concluded by 9.30 and as it became our routine to these meetings lately Adhvik dropped me home.

"Can we talk for some time?" I asked as he parked near to the driveway of my apartment.

"Sure. What happened?"

"Its nothing. I am just feeling little overwhelmed lately."

"Are you taking the work too seriously?"

"No it is not that." I took my time to choose words, "everything is changing quickly. Both professionally and personally and I don't know whether I am ready for it yet."

"Sria, is it about us? I have already told you we won't take any step you aren't comfortable with."

"I know Adhvik."I couldn't help the smile tugging at my lips. "And I don't doubt you or this whatever it is for a second." I completed motioning between us.