The Boy in the Iceberg

(Y/n) POV

Water. Earth. Fire. Air. My grandmother used to tell me stories about the old days: a time of peace when the Avatar kept balance between the Water Tribes, Earth Kingdom, Fire Nation and Air Nomads. But that all changed when the Fire Nation attacked.

Only the Avatar mastered all four elements; only he could stop the ruthless Firebenders. But when the world needed him most, he vanished.

A hundred years have passed, and the Fire Nation is nearing victory in the war.

Two years ago, my father and the men of my tribe journeyed to the Earth Kingdom to help fight against the Fire Nation, leaving me to not only look after my tribe, but my twin brother and little sister as well.

Some people believe that the Avatar was never reborn into the Air Nomads and that the cycle is broken, but my sister hasn't lost hope. She still believes that, somehow, the Avatar will return to save the world.

I on the other hand, feel like life is just screwed up. Hi. My name is (Y/n) and I am... a disappointment.

I know that sounds really bad, but I can't blame anyone but myself. That's what the council always told me anyways.

Some people use the word bitch, but I prefer the term realist.

My little sister Katara was the perfect child. Well behaved, friendly to others, polite as pie, and acts like a mother to us and all the other children. But what everyone loves about her most is her power, Waterbending.

Yup my little sister is the last Waterbender of the Southern Water Tribe. Which makes her a gem to this little block of ice!

Oh but you must have a yang to that yin! The yang is me. My dads little shame ball he acts like doesn't exist. Yup that's right, I'm a Firebender! The first Firebender of the Southern Water Tribe wooop-WOOP!

My nation committed mass genocide, so that makes me feel all warm and tingly inside. I hope you can read the sarcasm in that.

I was only three when I discovered my powers and my dad originally thought my mom slept with the enemy. Only to find out that my dad has an ancestor who married into the fire nation and here I am.... yayyyy.

Of course the Chief of the Water Tribe couldn't let it out to the public that my powers existed. I couldn't ruin his reputation after all.

So I spend most of my time hunting for the Tribe. Dad told me women should never hunt but let me go only because of the possibility I could reveal myself by burning the entire village down.

Fair point, I'm told I have a short temper. Katara had to learn it from somewhere after all.

I do enjoy the peace and quiet though. It is nice to be alone with nothing but my thoughts for hours on end.

It's kinda impossible for me to become a master in my bending (because obviously) but being alone allows me to practice.

The only problem recently is food has become scares due to the season. So Sokka and Katara insisted on coming with me to hunt today.

I don't mind though, I love my siblings and would do anything to protect them. As long as I can keep them safe, I'm okay.

That is what I promised my mom before she was taken from us, and I intend to keep it.

"It's not getting away from me this time," Sokka grind holding his spear. "Watch and learn, girls. This is how you catch a fish."

I watched the two both try and grab fish on the boat. Katara was able to use her bending to make a floating bubble containing a fish, "Sokka, (Y/n) look!" She smiled.