T H I R T Y T W O

Words couldn't describe how I felt seeing Daisy this morning

Words couldn't describe how I felt seeing Daisy this morning. After the drive to the hospital, I'd convinced myself it was bad news. So when the doctor met us in the arrival area to tell us they were both okay, only suffering minor injuries, I almost melted to the floor in relief. The first words that left my mouth were 'take me to them'. I wasn't waiting another second to see my girls.

Hope was in the children's unit. She had been thoroughly checked as far as I was aware, and was thankfully okay. However, not being a biological parent, they wouldn't tell me anything unfortunately. Yet they hadn't visited Daisy to tell her otherwise, so I took it as a positive sign.

I also wanted to be able to tell Hope about her new baby brother or sister, so we would have to wait until after the doctor had done the scan. Daisy has finished her urine sample and we were waiting for the doctors results. She was dipping a thin plastic stick in it - apparently their version of a pregnant test - and waiting for the two pink lines to appear. I don't think I'd been this excited and nervous together at the same time before.

I could see Daisy's brain turning over all the possibilities, mostly the negative ones. She had a pained, worried expression written all over her face, and her hands were jittering as she tried to sit patiently and wait.

I interlocked our fingers, pressing a tender kiss to her knuckles. I still couldn't believe I'd gone from losing her, worrying she had been seriously hurt, to finding her, and finding out she was possibly carrying my baby. Miracles really did happen.

"Okay I believe it says you are pregnant. Now let's do the scan" the doctor declared, pulling me from my thoughts.

A sign of relief flashed across her features, eyes softening for a second, until reality hit her again. She was worried the scan would show complications, and I did too. I still hadn't got a clue what had happened to her while she was there, but I intended to find out. I wanted to know how she escaped for one.

"Right, this will be cold" she warned Daisy, squirting clear gel across her abdomen before placing a wand looking stick across it.

Daisy flinched before giggling at the sudden coldness.

"You okay beautiful?" I whispered, kissing her soft strands as the doctor fiddled with the stick. I really had no clue what she was doing or how this worked, but I'm pretty sure you don't have a scan so early and you never have one in a random room like this. That's how I knew the seriousness of it.

She nodded, looking up at me with glassy eyes. She was terrified.

"Whatever happens, I love you-"

I was interrupted by the sudden thumping noise coming through the room. I looked over at the doctor, most likely confused as hell written all over my face, as Daisy's eyes darted to the tiny machine.

Then I noticed.

A tiny flicker on the screen. A small grey little dot.

That was our baby. And that was it's heartbeat.