T H R E E

My hands were dripping with sweat, and I'm sure Hope could feel it

My hands were dripping with sweat, and I'm sure Hope could feel it. My cheeks were burning, and I could sense the flushed crimson covering them. It wasn't helping that my heart was erratically beating, and therefore my breathing had become more laboured.

I hadn't been attracted to a man since before Robert, and after what he did - and leaving only six months ago - I didn't think I had it in me to gain heart palpitations from the sight of a man because I thought he was attractive, and not because I was scared of him. But the hot, huge, muscly man standing behind me had shifted something inside me, and now my sex was aching for him to take a step closer so I could feel his hard muscles against my back. Or more.

I swallowed as I realised what I was feeling, and how unrealistic it was.
Even if I was that attracted to him, I could never become intimate and trust a man ever again.

My trust in men has been betrayed - corrupted even - and I can't get close without fearing mine and Hopes life.
I had to protect us both - mainly her - from all the darkness in this world. She couldn't be anymore tainted than she already is from being the daughter of a monster. So, I couldn't let him near me.
I kept my eyes focused on Hope as I waited for our drinks, and mentally slapped myself when I looked up to meet his gaze.

His Icy blue eyes were watching me with such intensity and curiosity, it sent a shiver down my spine.

I could see the hurt and loneliness behind them too. Maybe I'd become acquainted to it as I had that same look in my eyes every time I looked in the mirror. I just hoped he didn't see it in me, like I did him.

I turned my eyes abruptly to stop the mutual gaze, and I could see him stalking over to me from the corner of my eyes.

My heart had just upped its pace, quickening past the pace it should be at. My chest tightened, and here was the familiar terrifying feeling I had when men got close. Only what scared me more in particular about this was the reason I was scared. My body had automatically taken trust in this strange - but hot - man, and I was more scared of not being able to pursue my interest in him. The irony made no sense, and I decided on trying to ignore his presence as he stood next to me; his elbow slightly touching mine.

I gulped. Loudly, and clearly.
He could sense my inner reaction, and decided to take it as a sign he could speak to me.

"Nate." He held his hand out, and it took me a while to realise he had spoken.

His deep, rough voice sent a wave of heat through my body, and hit me right in my core. I averted my eyes to his, and then to his hand before slowly placing my shaking, sweaty palm into his.

"Daisy." I gave him a warm smile in response too.

Brushing his fingers across mine, he slipped his hand back to his side giving me a sexy smirk.

It was then that I had the chance to take in his manly features of intentional stubble across his face, and the hard jaw line that could cut with its sharp edge. Just like it was cutting straight through to me, and making my whole body shake.