E I G H T E E N

"I'm so sorry you went through that"

Was all I could say after Daisy's confession.

Many different answers went through my head from: 'he's a bastard!' Or 'I'll kill him', but I figured they wasn't the right words given the situation. I'm sure that the last thing she wanted to hear was my violent thoughts on her abusive husband. So I swallowed my anger, and became the supportive boyfriend she needed. Well, what do you call the person you've been dating for a few weeks, but haven't officially put a label on it? Friend? Acquaintance? - no I'm sure it's definitely not that one. Either way she needed me to support her. I had Jack to rant to and take my frustration out on.

"So the Daisy is possibly from him?" I asked.

She was still sat on my lap, shaking from the confession. She then nodded, while wiping the last of her tears away.

"Can I?" I reached for the card, but I wanted to check she was okay with me looking.

"Sure" she nodded.

I opened it, and turned it to show her.

Hope;
Happy birthday!
All my love
X

"Could it be him?"

"I don't know, I suppose it would make sense for him not to sign it with his name. You know because then I'd definitely know he was here"

"Yeah but it could be anyone"

"No, it's him. Or his parents." She insisted, shaking her head.

"How can you be so sure?"

"For one the daisy, he brought me daisy's the day Hope was born and on her first birthday. Secondly, why would they not sign the card?"

She eyed me with her eyebrow raised, waiting for me to try argue with her.

I couldn't help laugh at her. She was cute.

"What's so funny?"

"The look you gave me."

"What about it?" She was very confused.

"It was like you were saying 'I dare you to argue with me. I'm right'. It was cute, miss know it all" I teased, trying to lighten the conversation a little.

I was aware this was serious, but that also meant I was aware of just how stressed this was making her.

I just wanted to see her smile.