Chapter 8- Helpless

Emmett POV

"Emmett, what do we do?" Rosalie asked me, eyeing Bella's body. She was completely exhausted, and was fast asleep in my arms.

"I don't know Rose, I don't know"

"She's so...so frail and weak. She's not been eating and she looks tired. She's clearly absolutely heartbroken..." Rose trailed off.

"I know, ok? I know" I nearly shouted at her. I didn't want to be reminded. No one said anything.

"I hate him" Rose said suddenly, her voice full of calm anger and hidden rage.

"I know, me too" I answered. I was suprised that she was coming along to care for Bella so quickly. Rosalie must have noticed my suprise and shock because she looked at me and started to explain.

"I don't hate Bella, Emmett. I envy her. She's a human. She can have kids."

I knew how much Rosalie had always wanted kids. She would've given up me for a chance to have kids. And adopting kids wasn't the same to her. It never had been. I would give my arm and leg if it meant Rosalie could have kids but I knew it was impossible.

"He's broken her. She's never going to fall in love again. And think about how Charlie must feel..." Rosalie continued.

Rose had always liked Charlie. She had liked his dark humour and had found him one of the rare, unquestioning and unjudging men in town. I knew that Rosalie and Charlie had a sort of odd friendship, not like Alice and Charlie's friendship, more like Jasper and Bella's.

Bella. Bella, my sister. My only sister. Clumsy, funny Bella. She'd always been crazy about Edward. More infautauted, in a sense, than in love. But I knew she loved him. I thought he'd loved her. Apparently, I'd been wrong. It had been so odd though, how quickly everything had turned. I reckoned it had something to do with Tanya, though. Even though he had always denied any feeling for Tanya, I think he's always liked her. At least he liked how into him she was. To be honest, I think Edward just didn't like how confident Bella felt with him, he wanted to be with someone who would flirt constintely and always feel as if she needed to win some kind of contest. He wanted to be the centre of attention. And, Edward, had gotten what he wanted- as he always does- and as a result had broken our family, broken Bella and ruined Carlisle. Nice job, Eddy! Eddy! That's one thing he's going to have to get used to if he is going to get with Tanya. I wonder where Edward, Carlise and Esme are going to go. I was just thankful I'd never have to see the guy again.

"Emmy..." Rosalie started, softly.

I knew something was wrong. Rose was normally so confident, she sounded upset.

"What is it, Rosie?" I asked, softly, tilting her face towards mine so I could see her.

"Do you think it is my fault?"

"What?!" I asked completely shocked and confused.

"I mean my faut that Bella's like this, that Edward broke up with her. Perhaps if I had been a bit more friendly to Bella, tried a bit harder, or helped a little more with the whole James thing, not created so much trouble in our family, if I had tried for us, or-" I cut her off by pressing my cold lips to hers, softly.

"None of this is any of your fault" I mumured against her lips, sincerely.

"It's all his fault, all of it. If he wanted to be with Bella, he would be. You know that. He always gets what he wants. He doesn't want to be with Bella anymore so he's not. And he's too selfish to care about what it does to the rest of us. But it's not your fault." I said, confidently. She needed to know it had nothing to do with anything she has or has not done. Rose nodded.

"Ugh, why am I so stupid?" Bella's voice startled me. "I shouldn't have slept so long. I need to actually do something. God, I look hideous..."

I assumed she hadn't realised I was holding her and that Rosalie was next to her, she was gazing at the cealing.

"Maybe that's why..." she choked as tears began to well up in her eyes. I shook her body, desperate to wake her from this horrible trance of hers.

"Maybe that's why" she continued "he left me."

Rosalie gasped. This sound seemed to wake Bella from her trance. She spun her head to the side and screamed.

"Heya, Bella" I said, as casually and cheerfully as I could. I'm pretty sure I had read something about when surrounded with mad people act happy. And Bella was definitely mad. Rosalie rolled her eyes at me.

What I mouthed.

You are way to happy, she mouthed back at me, smirking.

Bella looked at me blankly. After a couple of seconds, she smiled as she recognised me and Rosalie and wrapped her arms tightly around me. I saw a look of sadness wash over Rosalie's face and I wasn't suprised.

"Heya there" I joked.

"Sorry" Bella apologized.

"Whatever for?" Rosalie blurted out.

Bella turned to face her and looked at her with curiosity in her eyes. Probably as to why Rosalie was acting so normal towards her, instead of the cold, horrid person she normally acted.

"For yesterday"

"Oh don't worry about it. I was way meaner to you" Rosalie said sincerely. "Can you forgive me?" she looked up hopefully at Bella, smiling and then did her puppy her eyes on her.

"You're as bad as Alice!" Bella protested. "Fine!"

Rose laughed.

"So why aren't you with the others...?" Bella croaked, after a couple of minutes. "I came to your house and you had all left"

"Well, after you left, our entire family split.." I said as casually as I could.

"What? Why?" Bella whispered.

"Everyone fell out over Carlisle's and Edwards decision to leave you" Rosalie explained. "Carlisle, Esme and well you know who have gone away, god knows where, Emmett and I are going to Alaska"

"You're leaving?" Bella muttered.

I nodded.

"But we will visit and call" Rosalie promised "I've set up emails and mobiles for us and written down our numbers for you. And besides you won't be alone because Jasper and Alice are.." Bella looked up in interest.

"They're staying here. In forks. With you" I finished.