Chapter 37 - Man of My Word

Start from the beginning

'Ask Dream for a spare room, he will guide you to one.' He made his way to the direction of the stairs to the roof.

"Why?" Ink knew that he shouldn't ask but it was confusing that the reason was simple. "Why are you helping me?"

'Because I'm a man of my word.' Martial said with a smile.

"Why are you helping the King? You... don't seem to be a bad person."

Martial's smile turned to a frown as his gaze fell to the floor before he hesitantly raised his hands and answer.

'Because I'm a man of my word.'

Ink watched them leave and no sooner, Dream appeared, holding outva hand for him to take. The artist grabbed it and First started leading him and to the second floor where doors by doors were lined up. The last door on the left was yanked open by the younger brother of the King. Ink stepped inside and was glad that it was at least warm.

He jumped when he felt a hand on his wrist. Ink turned around and when he did, Dream was fumbling his pockets. Then he pulled out a key, he motioned for the other to turn around so he did. He felt the collar around his neck shift until he heard a low clink and it was off. He was about to turn around but he was held firm on place by Dream and later on, another collar was lowered on him. This one, the Guardian realized, was Fourth's collar, the one he took off back then.

"Swear that you won't get in trouble."

"Can't promise that." Ink said with a soft smile. "Thank you."

Dream was surprise for a moment before he hid his smile by coughing behind his hand. "I shall take my leave."

Ink nodded and he slowly closed the door infront of him.

---|---

The two climbed to the roof of the Last Tower. The dark sky and cold wind blowing but never stopped the comfort it brought them.

'Is it true?' Martial asked with a tilt of his head as he sat on the edge of the tower's roof.

"no... he-he was lying. we live with gaster until today and never have i seen him all my life." S said and he was disappointed that the other won't tell the real reason but what could he do? Ink was there because Martial was the one returning gratitude.

'Will you interfere with my decision?' Martial asked with a smile.

"i would rather not dream of it." S said as he ran his finger on one of the snow covered edge. "i'm not here to meddle with those. my business was the promise to return me safely."

'And I will. Do you doubt me?'

S looked at the other and sighed. "of course not, i've given my full trust to you." He fisted his hand as he felt his soul throb with longing. "i miss them dearly, gaster and my brother..."

'I still could not believe you see that man as your father.'

S looked away for a moment as he recalled how the other was like. "he doesn't show emotions quite often but i know he cares for us. he worry more to p rather than me because my brother tend to get in trouble alot more than i am... there were times that i know he was trying his best."