Chapter 70 - Relationship Status: Together

"So you wished... an assurance for their future."

The Guardian of Creation watched the eldest devote his thoughts upon the request. "Ink, well, my mirror, had been through a lot. He's missed many chances in his past and I believe that with your help he could achieve what he always wanted."

They were currently in the throne room. Only occupied by a selected group of people. All here to witness their hopes fulfilled and see a scene of a lifetime. The thrones were unoccupied with only the sunlight to bear witness to this event. Geno and Fresh stood parallel to Ink and Error. Reaper was a few paces behind the eldest while Horror and Lust watched a few feet farther from the Guardians' side. Other than that, the room was devoid of anyone. The sound of the chants and laughs of Cyfrinians were dulled out by the thick structure of the castle. Ink himself was quite nervous despite being confident that no harm would come to them. Error seemed to be sharing the same feeling as evident with how he was gripping the artist's phalanges too tight.

"Would you rather not make his name known to many instead? Power and riches?" Fresh asked.

The artist cringed from the thought. "I... I don't think it will benefit him in the long run. Especially when he lost his magic." Ink twirled his thumbs in a repeating pattern. "He wants freedom not responsibilities that will be shackled on him with fame."

Geno seemed to take his time contemplating the request before finally nodding. "I'll take care of him."

"Y-You would?"

The eldest brother smiled kindly. "Until he chooses to spread his wings, he will always have a home here. I do not mind another brother."

The grin on the artist's face was blinding but he quickly sobered up to address another. "There's another matter. About Error, your Error..."

Geno looked at them expectantly and even the destroyer didn't know how the other would take it. "Your brother... is not without his crimes. He had done awful things in Nightmare's promise but I want to believe there's more to it than that. His emotions were always at war trying to smother one another and all I ask... All I ask is that you see through him."

Geno was silent for a moment. Shifting his gaze drifting away. "When I met you, I could already tell you are not him. Do you wish to know how?" The two Guardians nodded in curiosity. "My brother has a tendency to antagonize himself. To do everything in his power to make you hate him. It was both a test of trust and a defense. He said... He said the pain was less than you expected.

Being born consecutively to me brought unwanted comparison from our people. They tend to see the worst in him and the best of me. I will defend him to the ends of Earth but it has reached its point where my brother stopped trying. He hid behind a faćade of such an unpleasant, destructive monster that the only time I see his true self is in the confines of my room where he used to sneak and confess his woes."

Error bit back a small noise. It was too close to his struggles. That kind of mindset wasn't a born response but rather an effect of society. Given being seen as an omen of chaos everywhere he went, it was easier to accept that than face disappointment when no one acknowledges your efforts.

"I know him just as much as I recognize the back of my hand but even so, you are right. His faults should not be ignored. I am certain he would be willing to discuss his verdict once he returns," Geno said with a barely hidden excitement of finally reuniting with his sibling.

Finally satisfied with their agreements and without any further objections, Ink finally raised a palm with a grin. "It's time we do our end of the deal."

Fresh visibly tensed from those words. Anticipating this very moment his brother will be back to his former glory. Geno stared at the offered hand with disbelief; soul pounding with hope and fear.