Chapter 68 - One Step Closer

"It's truly in shambles..."

Killer had a mixture of awe and dismay in seeing the remains of Atalante. The smoke was thick and dark across the morning sky even if only a day had gone by. Majority of the structures have their flames extinguished leaving behind a castle in desperate need of repair. Killer had no doubt that only ashes remain within its walls. Few locals seemed to come and go trying their luck in finding any luxury left among the rubble. When asked, Killer was told that it was Dream who had set it on fire. The aristocrat would bet that Nightmare's office will be the most unsalvageable section of the palace.

"Let's go," Killer called to the monochrome beside him.

"Are we not waiting for Father here?"

"I think it would be better if we intercept them before they reach the town. It would save their time from any... delay."

With that, Killer started walking off the citadel and to the village. Cross was quick to follow behind him. The village seemed to be celebrating. Stolen treasures and possessions paraded around the town but he could care less. They pass by large groups of people, deflecting their invitation left and right. The music blared on along with laughter as they came nearer and nearer to the entrance of the village.

As expected, X Domain's ruler. Cross stood more firmly and walked faster. Killer was behind him just clutching the makeshift bag tighter on his hand. X Gaster made no mistake to train his gaze on him. They were waiting for him to resort to violence in some way. Well, fortunately, Killer didn't have it in him to try. They reached a certain distance where the aristocrat stopped to let the monochrome prince reunite with his father.

Predictably, X Gaster pulled the prince close to him. "Father, I am well. They protected me from the crossfire."

"They?" The King questioned.

"Ink, Error, and King Fresh... Killer... Killer ceased the war."

Those piercing gaze went back to him again and all the targeted skeleton could do was bow from the gaze.

"It seems that the defeated side is obvious..." Killer bit back any side comments from coming out of his mouth. "Tell me, did this... Ink and Error finished what they did not at the ball?"

"No..." Killer gulped a lump from his throat. The crown on his skull was a bit heavier all of a sudden. "The former First General Dream did."

"He did?" There was surprise on X Gaster's tone that it made Killer look up. An intrigued look was what he saw as the man continued, "That was quite unexpected... He's as loyal as a dog."

A twinge of annoyance sparked in Killer before quickly squashing it down. He hated that somehow, they were right. He simply frowned at the comment but stayed silent.

"Who will rule Atalante by then?" X Gaster seemed to be already considering the benefit of this land.

"There is no one to take the throne. Not unless the lords of the houses decided to compete for it."

Killer will be long gone by then. He had a promise to fulfill rather than squabbling for some seat.

X Gaster observed the vast land further. A nod was given as a sign of approval. "Very well." Killer hardly noticed Cross mounting one of the steeds. One of the knights stepped forward with an empty horse; the reins was offered to him and he took it hesitantly. "A gift. For my son's safety."

Killer bowed down the ruler. He heard the horses galloping away from him. When he looked up, Cross stopped to give him a smile before leaving. The rest of the fleet left with them. The white garment blending along the snowy field. Killer was left with a horse, a kingless village, a scorched castle, and a skeleton.