Chapter 59 - The Bell Tolls for Thee

The sun was almost gone when they arrived.

Ink surveyed the area and frowned at the ruins of a once beautiful country. The snow covered the roads and basically almost every other low-leveled structures. The only one still visible was what the artist assumed as the castle and part of the church walls with one of the bells visible,  false golden color scraped and rusting from the changing weather and surroundings.

Akayden really was abandoned.

Ink was quite glad that they arrived there even before Nightmare. Fresh told them that the battle won't be occuring in the Ruins but on the open ground available. Utmost respect they could give to those who lived and died here as Geno had suggested. It was more advantage if they fight at the Ruins with all of that structures jutting out the white field Ink could grab and hide on. It's this Multiverse's custom so he'd just went along with it.

They didn't set camp on the Ruins though. The tents were hidden in the forest instead and kept out of the battlefield. There wasn't much words exchanged to each other even as the final training started. Some guards tended over the cargo they brought packed with magical items and made a final sweep over it. The voices never raising more than murmurs and it was quite change when just yesterday night, the generals were chatting away with the King.

Ink didn't feel like training because his movements were too jittery. Sparring could have smoothed the nerves but it never worked for him. His own life was on the line unlike those many times he'd go on great lengths to stop Nightmare's Gang back home. He helped on the medical items though and checked the scratchy drawing of a box in a parchment to confirm the same amount of items.

"That's all of it if I'm correct..." Aelius muttered. Even his usual carefree attitude toned down but his gaze lingered on the Guardian of Creation as Ink put away the parchment to be given to the General in charge.

"I'll give this myself." Ink said.

"You've been shaking before you got lost in our task."

Ink looked back at him and he didn't hide the reason. "I'm afraid I have never been in life or death situation no matter how skilled I am."

Aelius raised a brow. "You were there though. The one who had allegedly conjured a dome of shield over the slaves in one of our faux attacks."

"I don't feel... threatened. There was no one with magic back then, but now Nightmare..." Ink trailed enough to offer his worry.

"And yet you almost killed him."

Ink flinched at the thought. He wasn't even part of this world and he attempted murder to one of its inhabitants. Ink doesn't have the right to decide their end.

"He was only taken by surprise of my magic..."

The artist wouldn't have the luxury of surprise again. Caution should be what he takes there instead.

"You are quite determine and skillful, I dare say. You will do just fine. I believe in you." The human said and pushed him off to deliver the notes.

---|---

Killer could see the Ruins if he squinted enough from a distance. Other soldiers have advanced to see if Cyfrin was there. They decided to stop in the open, far from Akayden's destruction. Nightmare was silent and had taken the contract with him but he wouldn't show Killer the written words and that sent warning in his mind.