Chapter 11 - Cry in My Funeral, Will You?

"It's... for the Seventh General. He visits often, no?"

Ink found out that in this world, rational wasn't in their vocabulary.

Starving slaves to death yet forcing them to work? That's natural!

Discriminating and having an unspoken heirarchy? That's normal!

Letting a kid be one of the Generals and probably have gotten their hands dirty in wars? That is legal.

Ink felt bullets of cold sweat trickle down his temple. He was smiling and he could feel that faltering as he hear his funeral song playing in his mind.

Error, please cry in my funeral.

Once this kid found anything suspicious, he would book it and find Error and find the orb wherever it was. The kid remained oblivious with his face as he gave him more caramels. Although Error said that Seventh won't be a problem, he wasn't going to drop his guard. His gaze travelled by the katana and rifle. Those weren't toys and Ink could see himself getting his skull blown off or sliced.

'Where did you come from?'

Ink blinked and went for a lie, not the same from the guard and a completely different story. "I'm an orphan."

The kid gave him a look suppose to be saying 'Oh?' and Ink only nodded. The kid slipped the rifle off his back and lie it down the study table. Once he did so, he lie down on Ink's lap and the other had to stop himself from shaking. He kept reminding that it's just a kid, just a boy, just a child. Those eye lights were judging him and observing so intently.

'Why are you dressed up in women's attire, funny servant?'

He knew, the kid knew and it was no surprise because Ink didn't took him seriously back there and he was suffering the consequence of letting it slip. He have to think and he wasn't really good at impromptu.

"They... ran out of men's attire in my size."

The kid looked away and lie down on his side. His back facing Ink and he started drawing invisible lines on Ink's knee. His stance wasn't even remotely deadly only relaxed. Ink frowned at the thought of that Calamari letting a boy in a war. He unconsciously reached out and stroke the kid's skull. The other made no protest nor reaction as he continued the gesture. No words were exchanged until Ink realized that he shouldn't be letting the kid get comfortable. Error might come back any moment and this kid was getting drowsy and probably will sleep. So with best decision, he stopped. The kid felt that and looked at him with a 'why-did-you-stop-look' before sitting up.

"I think it might not be the best idea to sleep. You might have other things to do." Ink reasoned.

The kid seemed to pout but reached over his stuffed bear and if Ink didn't see it before, he sure now. A zipper was behind the bear and the whole body wasn't filled with fluff unlike the head. The boy began to fill the bear with caramels while grinning.

"Why are you... taking them?" Ink couldn't help but ask.

Once the bowl was empty, the boy zipped up the bear and looked at him. 'Error would let me have these but doesn't allow me to bring them.'

Ink was silent for a few minutes as the kid admired the bear with satisfactory. Ink knew what he did, he exposed himself that he has magic. It might attract unwanted attention from others once the kid talked about it and so, he rested a hand on the kid's shoulder. Firm but harmless, just enough to tell the kid that he was about to speak something important.