Chapter 69 - Welcome Home

"We're here."

The words rouse Martial from his sleep. The cold morning made him want to cuddle S longer. Before he could enact such thought, their little cocoon of blankets have been ripped off.

Dust was looking at him unimpressed as he continued to give a nasty glare. S grumbled in annoyance from the ruckus but didn't move from his curled up position. The oldest of the bunch maintained his staring contest with Martial before gesturing at the towering gates barring them from entrance. From above, two guards were stationed at their posts to guard the gates. The Delta Rune of the East Kingdom swayed among the flags attached to the walls. A massive painting of the symbol takes over the gates.

Entry will be hard. Especially if they thought Martial had sided with their enemy. The instant they see him, they'll want him captured and brought to the King.

"What do you have in mind?" Dust asked.

Martial hesitated to tell him but there was no going around this. 'We surrender then I explain everything.'

"...That was your brilliant plan?" The older said with a dismayed expression.

Martial raised a brow. 'Are we not suppose to be innocent? To act against their protocol is not quite lawful.'

Martial didn't wait for a response and jumped down the crate, pulling out curses from Dust who grabbed S from the blankets. Despite the bravado, the young general was having a praying session to every deity he knew of. For the first time since he came to live with Nightmare, he was scared.

He kept walking forward and eventually in the vicinity of the guards. Looking up, he could see them scrambling and giving orders. Strangely, none had pulled out weapons to aim at him. Dust caught up to him and the other didn't hesitate pulling him behind where S is.

The eldest held each of their wrist in a tight grip. There was tension in him and the urge to protect the children. If these people meant harm... then he won't make the mistake of leaving them behind. The gates groaned open and... he expected more of them. Were they underestimating them?

"Major, the King, awaits you," one of the guards spoke. He belatedly realized they were waiting for them to follow.

Dust rounded them in front of him where he could see them. They were avoiding staring and Dust preferred it that way. He realized how small the East Kingdom actually was from the inside. The towering castle occupy most of the lands and from the balcony, an equally massive figure awaits them. Dust was barely bothered seeing he faced something much more terrifying than a goat monster. Nightmare's oppressing aura was far more bone rattling.

They entered the castle and to the throne room. The golden buttercups decorated the aisle beautifully. The early morning rays seeped in through the windows making the tinted glass sparkle in their varied colors. The thrones were reflecting the hues and even to the two rulers sitting on them. King Asgore and Queen Toriel sat regally as they look upon the three visitors. Dust unconsciously gripped the children closer.

"Martial," the sound of king's voice echoed inside the hall. "You have returned."

Dust watched the addressed child sign his response. 'I have to.'

"Nightmare's army retreated freeing us from imprisonment. Word has it that he had perished from a deadly war..."

'Are you assuming I have come crawling back to you?'