28 - Just A Joke

MIRU

It was night time in the middle of fall. There I stood at the school's garden after I rejected my long time crush's shocking confession, to be interrogated by my current love interest.

I avoided his gaze as he stood a couple of feet across me with his oversized jacket above a plain white shirt and sweatpants- his sleepwear. The butterflies in my stomach defeated the amount of butterflies flying over the garden. Kim Taehyung was quiet after I blurted out how Hoseok confessed to me. The atmosphere was so uncomfortable I had no idea where to put my eyes on.

"So are you gonna say som-"

"Did you accept his confession?" Taehyung asked.

My eyes were wide as they averted to Taehyung's. My mouth gaped open and suddenly words couldn't make their way out of my mouth. I wanted to lie and tell him that I accepted Hoseok's confession, but I thought that it was a dumb move to lie.

"Not telling." I turned around and walked towards the pond, crouching down to look at the fishes.

"Oh? You're not telling?" Taehyung said in disbelief, standing behind me. "Tell me, or I'll push you into the pond." He teased and I could hear his playful chuckles in between his words.

I panicked. Knowing Taehyung, I wouldn't know whether he was only joking or he'd really push me into the pond. I didn't have the chance to stand up and protect myself but his leg was already leaning against my back. "Ha!" He loudly laughed as he gave my back a push. I screamed when my body leaned forward to the pond, but he held me back by my forearms, preventing me to actually fall.

"Kim Taehyung!" I shrieked, shoving him but his tall and firm build didn't budge. I placed a hand on my chest in complete shock.

"What? Did I make your heart beat fast?" He joked.

"Dumbass!"

His eyebrows were raised as he heard the unexpected word coming from my mouth. "So we're comfortably using the word 'ass' now?"

"Nose-picking ape." I muttered, annoyed at his prank. "I'm going!" I turned my back and marched towards the dorms, wanting to end the night there and sleep.

"Wait, wait!" Taehyung grabbed my arm. "The school put a new birdhouse over there. Wanna go see the baby birds?"

His lips stretched into a smile when he saw my eyes sparkle. My eyes roamed the garden to spot the cute white and blue wooden birdhouse on top of a tree. I jogged towards it and stared at it in awe. It was seven feet above the ground so I couldn't see the baby birds clearly.

"Here, I'll give you a lift." I looked to my side and saw Taehyung crouching down with his back facing me, offering me a piggyback ride.

I pursed my lips. "Nah, I'm good. I don't want to disturb the baby birds."

Taehyung looked over his shoulder and stood up, straightening his clothes. "Okay then."

A sudden cool wind blew on our hair, making it wave in the air. Somehow, the wind carried Taehyung's scent before it passed by me. He smelled like clean laundry with a tint of strawberry. I didn't notice I was staring at him for a while until his gaze caught mine. My eyes immediately fell to his shoes, then back at the birdhouse. I suddenly felt fuzzy and I was glad that the weather was a bit cold that night, I could use it as an excuse on why I was blushing.

"So are you and Hoseok a thing now?" Taehyung suddenly asked. Our eyes met for a split second before he looked at the birdhouse, whistling to the baby birds. "I want to be the first to congratulate you."

My heart squeezed at that. I frowned to the ground, pressing my lips together. "No," I mustered up the courage to look at him. "No, I rejected him."