21 - The Play

MIRU

I struggled to breathe.

The corset is too freaking tight!

People already gathered and almost filled up the entire auditorium. I was worried, the amount of audience was way more than the number I had in my head. It was my first time to perform on stage with a big role. I used to play small roles, like a baker, a maid, I've been a talking tree once.

"Miru, if you need water, there's a box of water bottles there, okay?" One of the property team members said, pointing over at the box near the entrance of the backstage.

"Okay." I said.

"Miru, come! I need to fix your makeup." I immediately came and sat in front of the vanity. "Oh my gosh, your hair is messy too."

"I kinda scratched it." I pursed my lips, hearing the stylist sigh.

I felt sleepy while my hair was being fixed but I couldn't even sleep, hearing the crowd talking outside. I calmed myself down and told myself not to be nervous, but the image of me slipping while I danced kept on playing in my head. I was afraid that my imaginations will become reality.

Come on, where did your confidence go, Miru?

I took in a deep breath and exhaled.

"Worried?" I looked beside me. Kim Taehyung was beside me, holding out a water bottle.

The girl who was on hair duty gave my hair a last spray of hairspray before walking away and styled the other casts.

I took the bottle he offered but stiffled a laugh. "The club supplies water too, you know." I pointed at the box of water bottles, but it wasn't there. "Oh? Where did it go?"

"Probably ran out of water bottles. Good thing I brought you one." Taehyung said.

"Hey, who put this box outside?!" I heard Juyeon- who has just entered the backstage, shout.

I looked at Taehyung, raising my eyebrows. He just gave me an 'I-know-nothing' look. What's his problem?

"Anyway, good luck. I know you'll do great." Taehyung reached out his hand but I stopped him.

"Nope, don't touch my hair."

"Oh, right." He might be debating with himself whether to poke my forehead or not. His finger was hanging in the air awkwardly centimeters away from my forehead. I just looked at his finger, not knowing where to fix my gaze on. In the end, he pointed at the exit with his thumb, "I'll be out." He said. He raised his eyebrows at me and gave me a friendly pat on my shoulder before heading out.

I let out the breath I've been holding all this time and cringed at the awkward moment earlier.

What the heck was that?

* * *

"Name?"

"Amissa. Amissa Cattelin." I spoke in a posh attitude, telling one of the guards' Amissa's fake surname.

"Lady Cattelin, you may enter the ball." The guards bowed as I walked in with my chin held up high.

As classy as I walk, I'm still the antagonist of this play.

I held my wine red dress and bowed to the king who came to greet me. "King Heinrich," I greeted, my eyes then moved to the duke, "Duke Douglas." I then gave the queen a nasty stare, startling her at my nonexistent effort to hide my hatred towards the king's wife. "Queen Matilda." I spoke rudely.