Fall's aura

Raven was sitting on the porch smoking a cigarette. Just as our relationship began, it was supposed to end officially.

          October 1st was Thursday, so I showed up at the weekend. This place was nothing like the one I remembered from August. The flowers no longer bloomed, leaves from the trees fell into the empty yard. The house seemed to be drowning in fall colors. It looked amazing against the dark green background of the pines.

"I didn't like you and I was right," she began. "Who would have thought you would solve the mystery of life. You've pierced my life to the very bottom. Are you feeling relieved?" she asked with a reproach which she did not hide at all.

"Let's say so" I replied reluctantly.

"Have you published this book yet?"

"I still need to work on the details," I explained.

"Good." she reached into her right pocket for something. "You can add that, too," she handed me, or rather pressed the letter. "Don't ask me what to add it. It's your missing link," she said, glancing at me surreptitiously.

         I thanked her and hid the mysterious letter.

"Thanks to your scraps I will become immortal, who wouldn't? Besides, I want to read this... "something" she smiled. "I wonder what else you wrote behind my back."

"You'll find out," I smiled brightly.

"Thanks," she said, though I didn't expect it. "If it weren't for you, who knows how would have this drama ended."

"Don't thank me. Your brother and Ronnie deserve it. I just did the job you let me do."

"Your therapeutic chatter got me under psychiatric treatment," she said quite unexpectedly.

"Really?"

"Yeah. I would never get over it myself"she laughed sadly.

"I am glad and hope this helps you."

"Me too..." she added a bit without conviction. "I found out where Orman was buried," she added. "We moved his remains to the Great Stone."

"I feel so sorry for you..."

"I still can't accept it. I quit my job at the stable. I'm also going to move to Montana. Together with Ronnie and Kurt. We're going to start over there. I can't live here anymore."

"Are you looking forward to this move?"

"Sure," she smiled much cheerfully. "Ronnie and I bought a ranch. I'm also going to buy some horses for us. I hope you will visit us." she laughed.

"I hope so," I winked at her. "When are you going to Montana?"

"Next week and no, I won't miss you. The sooner I get out of here, the better."

          For the last time I wandered around, visited a few places, and said goodbye to everyone. I was sorry that I might never see them again.

         The story would be over now, but while I was waiting for my flight to Boston, I read a letter from Raven.