After a year

*SARAH'S POV*

"I should really stop listening to whatever you say. We may be in trouble now; see, we're lost!" He said loudly.
"Just keep on going! It's way more fun now." I replied, laughing, and he accelerated the bike even more, but there was something disturbing us. What was that?

I jumped on the bed, hearing my alarm ringing. "God, why does it always ring at the wrong time?" I slapped the clock to turn it off. Frustrated, I went to take a shower.
I turned on the shower faucet and let the hot water cascade on me. My mind drifted back to my dream. It's been 3 days that I kept on dreaming of being on a bike with a guy. I wondered, Who was that in my dream? I couldn't see his face because he was wearing a helmet, but why on a bike? And that too in 3 days consecutive. That was strange! I quickly took a shower and got dressed. I prepared a quick sandwich and coffee and headed to my car. I was driving while drinking my coffee when the traffic light went red. Thank God, I left home a bit early as I knew the traffic would be bad on this early Monday morning, and now I would probably spend 10 to 15 minutes here itself, so I started eating my sandwich, and my mind again drifted to how my life had changed in the past year.

*FLASHBACK*

"What do you mean you're leaving the house? What's wrong with staying here?" Mom asked worriedly.
"Mom, try to understand. I want to live on my own and be independent. And I can't do that when I'm still here with you all. Please let me go, please." I tried explaining to her why I was moving out of the house.
"But why leaving?" she was interrupted by dad.
"Sweetheart, calm down. If that's what she really wants, then we should let her. I know my daughter; she will not take such a big step with any thought. We shouldn't pressurize her like that." Dad said to her and nodded his head at me, which meant he understood my decision.
"Thank you, dad!"
"Are you still angry at us, baby, for whatever happened?" Mom asked me, concerned. I looked at her and wished I could say yes, I am, but I couldn't stay mad at them; after all, they are my parents.
"No, mom, I'm not mad at you at all. I've already forgotten everything. I just want to be alone now. And don't worry about me; I'll be fine." I gave her a reassured smile. I gave my parents and my sisters a big hug and moved out of the house where many memories were, but there were some that I wanted to get away from—the place where I spent most of my time—and now it has become the place that I hate the most. I took a last look at the house, and I sat in the taxi. I gave the driver the address of my new apartment, and we drove there as Dad would send my car later.

After I came back from Miami, I went back to work and worked there for only 1 year more, and then I quit. In those months, I've been receiving lots of calls and messages from unknown numbers. I knew who it was, so I didn't bother to even look at them or receive any calls. I said to myself that I wouldn't let anyone affect my job or my future, so I stayed focused on my work and didn't let anyone stranger meet me, nor did I waste my time walking around the streets there so that I didn't come by anyone who I didn't want to see at all. The money I received from the job was enough for me to enroll in college and, as well, have my own place down. But I should also start looking for another job soon in order to survive. In the past year, I've become really quiet; I only interacted with people I knew. I spent my time in my room only; I hardly went out because most of the time I wanted to stay alone. Maybe moving out would be the best idea, as loneliness has now become a habit.

*END OF FLASHBACK*

I jerked out of my thoughts by hearing the honking of cars behind me. I looked up, and it was already green, so I drove off to college. I parked my car and made my way to my locker to grab my books before class got started. It was already the second semester of my first year. I've taken business management since I worked for a company and knew how the work was being done, but I wanted to learn how to manage a whole business. Maybe in the future, it might help. As I was making my way to the class, I saw that I had to pass by a group of seniors, of whom I heard that they were the most popular students at the college, as there was a famous guy who happened to be the captain of the football team. Every girl on the campus wanted him because of his looks and popularity. Seriously, that was the cheapest thing I've ever heard.
As I was approaching, the popular guy looked at me. I was not looking his way, but I knew he was looking at me. I mean, come on, you knew or felt when someone's gaze was on you. I looked up and met his gaze, and Oh my God! That pair of blue eyes were so gorgeous. I quickly averted my eyes and looked forward to my class. I should keep myself concentrated in my studies; this was what I came here for. 'Don't get distracted with unnecessary stuffs Sarah and keep that distance from everyone like you did for the first semester.'

The day went by pretty quickly, and now I was making my way home. My apartment was situated not so far from college, so it was an advantage. I unlocked the door of my apartment and stepped inside. It felt good to have a place on my own now. The place was not a big one but rather a studio apartment. It had all the basics for one person, like a cute kitchen, a nice and cozy living room where I happened to make a small reading place as well, a bathroom, and my bedroom. I did not want to buy one too much at this early stage of my life, as I needed the money. I saved up for other things, such as food and other necessities. When I am independent enough, maybe I will switch. But for now, I loved my little place all to myself.

I showered and ate dinner, which I ordered out as I was doing my assignments, but instead of concentrating on my work, my mind diverted to that guy. He was good-looking—no denying that! But no, I shouldn't get involved in those things again. Whenever I thought of Aaron, I got angrier at myself about how I could be so stupid. But now, I've learned my lesson. I wouldn't do the same mistake again. That love changed me to be blind, but my hatred for him changed me to be worse. 'I don't show my feelings anymore. I stay away from people as much as I can because I've grown to love my loneliness. It gives me peace and time to heal myself from everything that has happened. But I still care for the people I love and those who are close to me. I just have to be aware of whom I let in now.'

I closed my laptop and headed to bed since I wasn't able to do anything. I gave my dad a call to say I was fine. It was compulsory for me to give my parents a call every day, at least so that they wouldn't worry about me. I pulled my duvet off and forced myself to sleep.