Chapter 4 Destiny

The next morning, I woke up to my alarm as usual. I didn't have any weird dreams like before so I was able to sleep well. I went to college as usual and went to the cafe. Shownu even dropped by the cafe.

      I was standing behind the counter when I heard my phone ringing. The other worker near me said it was okay if I took the call and she took my place instead. I pulled out my phone from my bag and saw that the caller was my father. He did call me pretty usually to ask if I was okay and was taking care of my health but he didn't usually call me during work hours since he would be at the dojo himself.

I answered the call and put it to my ear.

"Hello?" I said.

"Hey, Y/N. How are you?" He asked.

"I'm fine. How are you?" I asked.

"I'm good. I didn't get to talk to you in a while so I thought I'd call," He said.

"Hmm. You're usually at the dojo around this time so I didn't expect a call from you," I said.

"Ah, I came home early today. Are you in the cafe right now?" He asked.

"Yeah," I answered.

"Oh, then should I hang up? I must be interrupting your work," He spoke.

"No, it's fine," I replied.

"Okay. Just don't overwork yourself and take care. And...I miss you." His words brought a smile to my face.

"I miss you too," I said.

"I sometimes get too worried about how you are doing... especially after... you know..." He said.

"...please don't worry, I'm taking care of myself just fine," I said.

"...Then, I'll hang up now. Bye," He said.

"Yes, Bye," I said before hanging up.

      He was kind of awkward when it came to showing affection to anyone. But I could see that he was trying hard to do so now. He has lost everyone he cared for and has only me. He must be very lonely. He was strong when it came to handling pain. He didn't break even when my mother left him.

      My mother had divorced him when I was only 3 years old. My father took care of me and my 5-year-old sister since then. I didn't even remember what my mother looked like. I didn't feel that sad because of that until I started going to school. To be honest, I always wanted to have a mother who would love me and take care of me but I didn't talk about it to anyone.

     I didn't have any friends at school since I liked to keep to myself most of the time. I met Minhyuk when I was 5 years old. He lived near my house and my father was friends with his father so he'd come over to my house to play. He even introduced me to another boy who was around my age. Im Changkyun. The three of us were best friends but we lost touch after Minhyuk and I moved to a different area for college.

I sighed before returning to my position behind the counter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      I walked back to the apartment complex and went up to the 7th floor and my apartment. I opened my bag to take out the keys but I couldn't find them anywhere in my bag. I checked the pockets of my coat too but I still couldn't find them. 'They must have fallen out of my bag when I took my phone out at the cafe,' I thought.

      The landlord would have all the spare keys so I went back to the ground floor where he lived but I saw that his door was locked. 'He's not home?' I thought, getting a little worried since I couldn't go back to the cafe to get my keys.