Bullet #24: Fountain of Fate

Finally, all four of them reached their destination. The Azure Lake was breathtaking despite it being only a smaller carbon copy of the real thing. Living up to its name, the water was as blue as the sky.

"Meow, meow, meow! It's so blue!!" Nana jumped up in excitement.

"Why is the gate locked, Miss Violet?" Harith asked.

"Ah, that. It's for safety purposes. Someone almost drowned because we left the gates open. And that someone didn't know how to swim but likes the lake very much, so we locked it up. But I have the keys right here so we could see the lake up close." Guinevere took out a collection of jingling keys. She sorted out the biggest key and unlocked the tall gates.

"By the way, the water in this man-made lake is not as pure as the one in the real Azure Lake. But there are still magical properties, just not as strong." Guinevere started her fun facts.

"Oh-- Grangey! Have you tried applying healing potions or Swan Lake water on your scar?" The Auburn haired girl turned her attention to the young marksman.

"Yeah. But it didn't work."

"Oh no..." Guinevere's mood slightly dampened.

"Estes theorized that the curse was older than the first war so the modern medical and magical treatments won't work. Trust me, we tried everything. But it's okay since you're here now." Granger softened his gaze.

"I'll do my best!" Guinevere pumped her arm up and an idea suddenly came to her mind. "Oh-- how about asking the demon directly?"

"Uhh...that...the demon's already dead. Probably rotting in hell right now."

"What?!" The younger girl gasped. It was her genius idea yet!

"I kinda slain it. Wait-- you don't remember?"

"Remember what--" Their conversation was cut short when Harith grabbed both of their arms.

"Miss Violet, Grangey, hurry! We caught a wild black baby bird!" There was alarm in the little boy's tone.

"What did you say?? A black bird?!" Guinevere was shocked.

"Yeah! With purple eyes!!"

The three arrived at where Nana was squatting down. Her pet Molina was suppressing the small black bird.

"Miss Violet! Oh gosh, we were so so scared! I even threw Molina out of habit and it caught this crazy little black bird because it attacked Harith!" Nana explained the situation. Despite being younger than Harith, she really cares for the older leonin in her own little way.

Guinevere gracefully crouched down and took the neutralized baby bird.

"Oh my! It's a black duckling!" Guinevere exclaimed.

"Really?? That's weird." Nana stroked the sleeping duckling's fluffy feathers.

"Yeah! This duckling wasn't quacking or chirping. It was hissing! Almost like a cat! And it tried to bite my hands off!" Harith was also puzzled.

"Oh. It might have been a cat before." Guinevere said to no one in particular, earning odd looks from the three guest.

She laughed to herself because she didn't explained thoroughly.

"Our magical security system turns intruders into ugly ducklings. There are various colored ducklings over there, thieves are mostly brown colored so it's unusual to have a black duckling. In conclusion, this must have been a black stray cat since it was hissing and acting erratically due to the cold water."