I Remember You

And then this one memory made her realize...

"Hard to believe that we are finally done with school now" Kazuha squealed full of joy. Today was the last day of school and she was so happy they finally graduated.

"Now calm down. It's just a highschool graduation.", Heiji muttered boredly.

"That's easy for you to say. You didn't even have to study, Mr. Super-smart!" Kazuha accused him angrily. Both were on their way home and strangely enough, they didn't talk much. Even if Heiji didn't pretend to, an era was over for both of them and everything would be different now. School was over and now the adult life began.

Especially in the last weeks Kazuha asked herself more and more the question how her future would look like. Slowly but surely she realized that she could never be with Heiji. But she wouldn't get over him if they continued to keep in touch, so she was determined, even if her heart hurt, to breaking off contact with her childhood friend. She didn't want that and she felt bad at the thought alone.

But Heiji just didn't love her the way she did and she had to accept that. She had been imagining all day what she would say and now the time had come to do so, even though she had repressed that unpleasant feeling all day long.

Meanwhile the two of them turned into the street where they lived when Kazuha suddenly stopped. With her head bowed and her heart pounding, she muttered, "From now on, we will  go different paths."

Heiji looked at her confused.  "What are you talking about?"

She raised her head and a tear rolled down her cheek. She wanted to avoid it at all costs, but knowing what she was doing, it was impossible."Heiji, from now on we're adults. And I...  I won't stand in your way anymore. You have a brilliant career ahead of you and I'd be nothing but a millstone to you." she sobbed.

Heiji now understood that Kazuha was serious and was just staring at her in an overwhelmed way. "Kazuha what are you talking about?  Where did you come up with that?!"

She wiped her tears with a sleeve and tried to smile " You will have less problems if I let you go. And believe me, you'll find a girlfriend easier..." she almost whispered. She had contributed a lot to the fact that no girl would go after Heiji.

Now she only looked deep into Heiji's eyes while the wind blew through her hair. Her eyelids were already trembling from the pressure of tears.

"Good-bye, Heiji..." she said in a calm and gentle voice. One tear after another came out and she turned to leave.

Heiji stood there like rooted to the ground and couldn't understand anything. When he realized what was happening, he immediately sprinted off and grabbed Kazuha's hand firmly.  "Kazuha, wait, what are you doing?!" he stuttered.

Kazuha just looked at him sadly "Please Heiji don't make this harder than it is. It's for your best."

"But you can't just leave." He brought it out suddenly.

Her eyes widened "Why not? What's holding you back?"

He suddenly felt warm around the nose and didn't know what to say.  "Well, that's because...  It just won't work!  Because..."  He fell silent and now he looked at her seriously.

It's now or never! He thought to himself.  Didn't take a step forward, clasped her face with his hands and kissed her.

Kazuha was completely overwhelmed as this was the last thing she expected.  When Heiji separated from her, she stared at him confused, still crying.

"You can't leave because I love you."

Heiji could theoretically say more now.  About the way he felt about her... But he wasn't really the type for long romantic monologs.

But things that needed to be said...

Had to be said.