Hope

Heiji got up fast, barely breathing. He didn't realize where he was until seconds later... At home... In his bed. "It was just a dream," he concluded, whispering and swiping his hair back with relief. Luckily, he thought. He wouldn't bear to lose her again. He could only hope that this dream never came true.

The unexpected ringing ripped him out of his mind and he got up and immediately went to the door. As expected, Shinichi was there to begin the investigation.

"Good morning sleeping beauty. Have you seen the clock? It's already 10 o'clock!" he accused him with an amused undertone as Heiji opened the door.

"Sorry I couldn't sleep all night and then there was this weird nightmare..." Heiji yawned and let him enter.

"Well, let's start right away," Shinichi replied.
Heiji looked gratefully at him. He was visibly relieved that he believed him and was ready to help.

Nozomi just stepped out of the room and immediately discovered Shinichi. "Oh, the detective is back!" she exclaimed enthusiastically and ran to the two of them.

"We still have to make some preparations. You can play for so long," Shinichi said, addressing Nozomi.

She nodded briefly and disappeared again while Shinichi looked behind her with a detective look.

"Nozomi," he said almost whispering but still earnestly.

Heiji looked at him in amazement.

"Nozomi... Her name!" he repeated thoughtfully and looked at Heiji again.

Heiji looked at him even more confused. "Yes, what's about that?"

Shinichi looked at him with a smile, "She has that name for a reason." Heiji did not quite understood while Shinichi continued

"Nozomi... the name, it means hope, doesn't it? Kazuha's only hope is her daughter Nozomi, you understand? I suspect that means she still believes in you," he said confidently, and Heiji looked at him perplexed.

"Hope?" Heiji whispered. "Yes now that you say it... I didn't notice that before. How could I oversee that?"

"Quite simply. When the girl came you had no suspicion of all this. And later you got so used to the name that you didn't think about it anymore. If you knew from the beginning who the child standing in front of you was, you would have noticed it immediately," Shinichi concluded.

"You mean my child. If I knew that my child was in front of me," Heiji replied, firmly convinced that Nozomi was his daughter. Shinichi, however, looked at him with a slight distrust. 'While it's obvious that this child is Kazuhas, it doesn't make it yours without a doubt."

This statement inevitably stabbed him in the heart. "Please what?!" Heiji screamed almost out of reflex, staring at him earnestly. "I'm just counting down all possibilities. We can't rule it out yet. She could be the child of someone else." Shinichi said calmly. He knew that Heiji was sometimes very stormy and trempament-like to deal with it.

Heiji shattered. Basically, Shinichi was right. It was not a fact that Nozomi was his daughter. But why was he so convinced?

Announcement: I will try to upload regularly. So you can expect a new chapter every Tuesday and Friday until the story comes to it's end 🌸