Just A Friend

The doctor, who, although it didn't seemed like, noticed Heiji's reaction He asked the detective to take a quick look into the consulting room. Heiji just followed him silently, leaving a confused Kazuha behind. With an empty look he staggered after the doctor without having handled anything that just happened.

The consulting room was filled with shelves that were crammed with all kinds of important stuff. The doctor sat down at a table with a PC on it and Heiji dropped like a stone on the chair opposite of the doctor. He just stared into the air, as he had been doing for a few minutes. The doctor cleared his throat briefly to get his attention and then finally started to speak: "I understand your reaction but don't worry too much. It is not uncommon for this to happen, and most of the time the people affected get most of their memories back.

...

But could you tell me exactly what happened there?"

Heiji was trapped in a prison of thoughts and questions, so he reacted late. "As you already know, I am her husband. But 7 years ago... There... She suddenly disappeared without a trace. After years of searching, the police finally gave up and she was presumed dead. The day she was brought here, was the day I finally found her. She was kidnapped. And when I went to save her, I was shot and I lost consciousness. She was in a completely horrible state, so she couldn't even distinguish reality from dreams."

The doctor listened to everything and kept quiet.

"Then the amnesia must be from the shock...

"In this situation, it would be better if you would keep quiet about who you really are. This information would put her under unnecessary stress, which could lead to serious consequences. Especially since you don't know she felt about you."

Heiji didn't quite understood how he should handle it. The thought that Kazuha may didn't want to know anything more about him put him into a sort of depression again.

"But she has to find out anywhere," he said after a break with a soft scratchy voice.

"The most important thing in her situation is to be patient. The memory should come back slowly, but too much at once would not be good. Pretend to be a good friend. Get to know other people who were close to her. I believe she can handle it." With these words, the Doctor left the room. Heiji just sat there like rooted to the floor, staring holes into the ground.

He had finally found her, but now it was up to him to give her back the memories of all the things he had messed up. He wished that she would forget forever everything that happened after her disappearance.

---

3 days later

---

"This young man was been your best friend," the doctor said kindly. And Heiji smiled just posed. He hated to be forced to lie, but this time it was probably unavoidable. Although it was more like hiding important details than lying.

After Kazuha recovered from her coma, she could finally be released. However, she didn't remember a thing during those 3 days.

Kazuha looked at him in shock "Oh... So you were... You were so sad back then." She looked down in shame. "Sorry, I didn't... I mean you, I guess I hurt you pretty bad then, didn't I?"

Heiji realized she was feeling guilty and wanted to ease the situation. "Don't worry about it. It doesn't happens every day your best friend suddenly forgets everything."

Kazuha smiled slightly again: "You seem to be a funny guy, don't you? I am glad to learn to know you again."

She meant it honestly and nice, but those words were so absurd for him. If he could only think of how she would feel if she remembered everything... The mere fact that she was actually married to him and had a daughter who missed her mother so bad. Nozomi... The question if she belonged to him would probably remain unanswered forever. Not to mention the whole kidnapping thing. He just hoped she would remember it all for herself... or not... He didn't know.