Chapter Nineteen - Shit-Eating Grin

Diane

I walked back down the hallway and into the cell room where I was holding Remington and the group and stragglers he managed to gain the trust of. When I stepped in the room they all stared at me, like animals ready to bite.

"I said I'd be back to talk to you Remington." I said as I ordered the guard that had followed me in to bring him out. My guard listened and walked up to the cage, he held rope in one of his hands as he unlocked the cell and pulled Remington. I watched carefully, Remington may be an idiot, but he's a clever idiot. He gets himself into trouble but has mastered getting out of it.

I watched carefully as my guard shut the door, locked it while he kept his grip on Remingtons arm. I kept my hand hovering over my knife in my pocket, just in case he wanted to make any sudden movements. However Remington tried no tricky business, he complied and let my guard tie his hands behind his back and I began to lead him into my office down the right hallway of the building. I would not however underestimate him for a second. At any moment Remington could pull one of his schemes.

We walked into my office and I sat him down in a shitty foldable chair that had to be around long before the war. I stood behind my desk with my arms crossed glaring at him.

"It's been eight years. Where's my money Remington?" I asked bluntly.

"You know you don't have to wear that mask around me." Remington said deflecting the question like usual.

"Where's my money? It's been eight years it's almost been a whole decade you fucking dirtbag. Where is it?"

"I see you've grown your hair out." He said giving me that same shit-eating grin.

I slammed the desk with my fist, "GIVE ME ONE REASON WHY I SHOULDN'T SELL YOU OFF TO THE SYNDICATES AND GET DOUBLE OF WHAT YOU OWE ME!"

Remington sat there for a second, it took him a second to think of something smart to reply with, "Because that would be giving the Syndicates what they want."

"There's always other people who'd pay a lot of money to beat you to death." I say as I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Funny you say that because I'm pretty sure your only allies are the rest of the five giants and correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't look like you guys will be working together anytime soon. I heard it was what, a bunch of petty drama? Who could've thought the five biggest gangs that had the chance to take down the syndicates wouldn't take down the syndicates because they all act like a bunch of middle schoolers." Remington said as he looked at me with that stupid know-it-all glint in his eye.

"You think your some little mastermind don't you? I'll have you know the only members of the five giants me and my people aren't on good terms with are The Bleeding Greed, and no one is on good terms with them. The only reason they want to take down the Syndicates is so that they can take their place as the most cruelest people on the planet." I retorted, "Now why don't you stop deflecting and tell me what's the reason you don't have my fucking money? Did you go on a bender every time you got the slightest bit of cash? I know you live in the woods, you sleep in a tent, and surround yourself with a bunch of idiots that are begging for direction because they can't think for themselves. Now you might as well amuse me and tell me what drugs you can't live without since you spent all my money on it, what is it? Coke? Did you finally start heroin? Or is it some new shit they make from the nuclear waste from the radioactive cities?"

"Why a deer skull, Diane? You weren't one to hide your face," Remington asked all smugly.

I could feel my cheeks grow hot with anger, "I'd like to say the same thing about that fried arm of yours, by the way you do a shitty job of hiding a burn scar that covers half our your fucking arm."

Remington dropped the smirk. "It matches with the one on your face, I wonder if all those cute freckles of yours are still left?"

"YOU COWARD! WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY?!" I demanded as I reached across the desk and pushed him back with anger. The crappy chair Remington was sitting on fell backwards and he landed on the floor. Remington quickly stood back up even with his hands tied behind his back, now standing in front of each other glaring in each other eyes, out of the corner of my eye I could see my guard take a step forward to help but I waved him away.

"I still think you have pretty eyes." Remington said as that stupid smile crept back onto his face.

"AND I STILL THINK YOUR THE FUCKING SCUM OF THE EARTH! IF YOUR NOT GOING TO TALK LIKE THE COWARD YOU ARE THAN I'LL SELL YOU AND YOUR FUCKING FRIENDS. I GAVE YOU A CHANCE. I GAVE YOU EIGHT YEARS TO MAKEUP FOR WHAT YOU DID TO ME AND YOU'VE LOST YOUR CHANCE!" I screamed in his face and then whipped my head around to face my guard, "GET HIM OUT NOW!"

My guard nodded and immediately walked over to Remington as I walked back over behind my desk. I sat down in my chair and watched as he walked Remington out of the room and out of my sight.

I fucking hate his guts more than anything.

Why did I ever trust him?