Blue

Olivia

Olivia

I turn up the radio as I hear my favorite song start to play. Classic R&B and pop was all my mom listened to while I was growing up. Of course, my dad would try and get me on the side of classic rock but I guess the R&B just stole my heart. That and my mom's intimidating stare.

I definitely wasn't a Beyonce, but I had a pretty decent voice. My mom put me in vocal and piano lessons when I was little. The way the lyrics and the beat flows together puts me in a confident stare of mind. As of right now, "I Wanna Dance With Somebody", by Whitney Houston. It never fails in lifting my spirits.

"Oh, I wanna dance with somebody

I wanna feel the heat with somebody

yeah, I wanna dance with somebody

With somebody who loves me"

Whitney was one of dad's favorites. And he was more of a classic rock kind of guy so that said something. He was one of the reasons why I listened to Whitney. To keep his memory alive, since my mom acts like she never wants to hear his name again. Another reason is my car. My beautiful blue 1969 Plymouth Road Runner, Sweetie.

While still belting out the lyrics, I pull into my mom's drive way. It was my dad's birthday and I always came by just make sure everything was okay. As much as she tried to cast away his name, I knew that she still talked about him. Hell, she even moved us from Louisiana to Wisconsin. That caused a rift to grow in between us. We never agreed when it came to my life decisions. She wanted me to marry her friend's son's cousin, who was a big time surgeon with plenty of money, while I wanted to go back in Louisiana and help my uncle run his car shop. See, big differences.

Parking my car, I see a gorgeous 1967 Chevy Impala. What a beauty.  I wonder who my mom has over with such a nice car. And why would she invite anyone over today. On this very sacred day. The day causes an argument between us every. single. time. Welp, lets see how this plays out.

Gathering all the courage I have, I knock on the door. From the looks of it the outside of the house hasn't changed. It takes my mom less than a few seconds to get to the door. She has her long black curly hair down with a white oversized t-shirt with Spongebob pajama pants.

"Hey momma," I said.

"Hey, baby," She said while sniffling. She has never cried on dad's birthday.

"Mom... are you crying?" I ask hesitantly. Don't need her throwing a fit.

"No...No. I'm fine. Come on in," she says while letting me in the house. I never really like it here. It wasn't cold but it wasn't cozy and warm like a house should be. It wasn't home.

"I almost forgot you were coming. I was just about to make some pie," she says almost as if she was nervous. Okay, weird.

"You know I always come for his birthday. Always have, always will. Hey and who's car is that in the front anyway?" I say while taking my jacket off and following her into the kitchen.