The Cards We're Dealt (and a long ass authors note)

Louis's POV~

Clementine and Louis had stuck to their plan of making breakfast for the rest of the group. As the sun began to rise higher, more and more of the kids had woken up only to be presently surprised at the food already presented on that table.

"This cannot be real. I have to still be asleep." Omar had said, rubbing sleep from his eyes as he sat at a bench. Both Louis and Clementine were satisfied with the heightened mood that now radiated throughout the camp.

This was the first time in weeks that Louis had seen Clementine eat more than a few spoonfuls of stew. It had been a successful morning and Louis was determined to make it a successful day.

"D'you think they appreciated that?" Clementine asked with a small smile on her face as she helped Louis collect the remaining bowls and cutlery.

"Maybe a little. I didn't hear any complaints over the laugher."

She let out a little laugh and how great it was to hear even a little retain of her light peak through. It had been ages since Clem had let more then a smile play on her lips anywhere that wasn't their bedroom. As if she was scared to show any happiness form around everyone else after everything they'd lost. In fact, it had been so long since he heard her laugh that he had the moment she had her last chuckle permanently printed in his mind as a reminder as to what he aimed to achieve again.

It was a chilly night but nothing the kids hadn't handled before. Tenn, Willy and AJ had all agreed to an early night to allow the older kids some time to play cards, as per Louis' request.

"Ugh I cannot believe we let him convince us to do this shit..." Vi moaned, dragging herself to an empty seat around the fireplace.

"Well obviously it's because you have fun! Besides, it's a great way to celebrate another successful hunting trip!" Louis cheered, his volume earning a wince from Clementine sat beside him.

"Any louder and you'll scare the rabbits away for tomorrow." Omar complained.

"Who cares about scaring the rabbits, it's drawing the walkers which are the real issue." Violet responded, shooting Louis an annoyed look.

Louis laughed at the pairs serious tone, "Oh please... we haven't seen a walker in weeks, at this rate I think I'm gonna forget how to kill them. Was it an arrow to the heart or a stab in the foot?"

Ruby cringed at the comment, "I'm sure it's something to do with the head." She replied sarcastically.

It was true, they hadn't seen a walker in an unsettling amount of time, even when hunting. Maybe they were dying out? There couldn't possibility be enough people left for the walkers to munch on so the only logical reason was that they'd starting dying from lack of food, right?

"Are we gonna play or are we gonna keep bitching." Clementine had cut in, a smile wide on her lips. She had been so happy, the school was secure and there was always food in people's stomachs. There'd been no threat or danger. Just teens living as normally as they could given the situation they were in. It was nice.

They had played for an hour or two, giving each other stupid dares or ridiculous questions to keep them going. Everyone had laughed, even Violet (though Louis was sure she'd never admit it).

Soon enough, the game was over and yawns danced around the circle.

"I say it's time to call it a night." Clem said, standing from her seat to stretch.

There were a few mumbles in agreement before everyone but Louis and Clementine had made their way back inside.

"If you promise to get up early and take first watch, I'll stay up tonight." Clementine proposed, an obvious, deep fatigue framing her eyes.