Hand in Hand

||Louis' POV
Clem had promised Ruby she'd help her tend to the garden. Aasim had offered but him and Ruby seemed to be having this super weird on-off thing. One day they'd be blushing and trying their best to keep a straight face when around each other and others they'd basically be at each others throats. Today seemed to be an off day and Ruby was quick to refuse his help.

Consequently, Louis was left with the job of keeping an eye on AJ. Clem had given him 3 simple rules -
• No swearing,
• No pranks,
And, most importantly:
• No talking about you know what.

At first, Louis had laughed thinking these rules were a joke but Clementine's glare left him with the impression that she was dead serious. He had stopped laughing, gulped and promised to take good care of AJ. So that's what he was doing right now.

They had started their day with a little bit of reading in the library but both Louis and AJ got bored of that really quickly. They decided to play a game which Louis had manipulated to let AJ win a couple times but that, too, became boring so to Louis' horror, AJ started asking questions to fill the time.

"But why can you only eat some mushrooms?" AJ asked for the 4th time.
"Like I said, kiddo, some are poisonous." Louis was starting to lose his patience.
"So you can eat them?"
"Not without getting sick."
"But what abou-"
"Do you have any non-mushroom related questions." Louis said in an attempt to save the little sanity he had left.

"Hmm." AJ was deep in thought. "Maybe Clem is finished?" He stood up in excitement.
"Trust me kiddo, she'll find us when she's done."
"How do you know?" AJ said, sitting back down.
"She told me." He said smugly.
"You two talk a lot." AJ said in a silk crossing his arms.
"I guess..." Louis was starting to worry where this conversation was going.
"I know you two weren't talking before. You were kissin-!"
Louis quickly clamped his hand over AJ's mouth muffling whatever else he wanted to say.
"Hey, little guy, don't ... don't talk about that, okay?"
"No! You don't understand!" AJ's voice, still muffled from Louis' hand, exclaimed.
"I don't understand what?" He lowered his hand "and whisper."
"I don't mind if you and Clem kiss! As long as it doesn't make babies...."
"Trust me, it definitely doesn't make babies."
"So it's fine then, right? If you're kissing, people can know?"
"Let's say we are kissing - which we're 100% not - "
"-Are-!"
"-Not. What would be so bad about keeping it a secret?"
"Becauseeee.... if you're happy you should show people so other people are happy too!"
Louis opened his mouth to argue until he realises he's talking to a kid.
"It doesn't work like that..." Louis muttered.
"If Clem's happy, I'm happy. And you make Clem smile so that makes me smile. You make me smile too."
"Well... so do you." Louis said, smiling and ruffling AJ's hair.

They heard the door creek before a familiar face walked in.

"Clem!" AJ shrieked before running towards her and engulfing her in a hug. However, he quickly let go in disgust. "You're wet."
"Sweaty." She panted. "And hot." She started to fan herself with her hand. "And really, really tired."
"I told you I would help." Louis said now standing and facing her with a smirk. She wouldn't believe him if he told her she still looked gorgeous.
"And I told you that Ruby would want to talk about Aasim." She said, returning the same smirk.
"Well? Did she?"
"Did she?!" Clem sighed. "She went on and on and on and on and - "
"On and on?" He said, fully smiling now.
She let out a barely audible giggle. "And on."
"Come on!" AJ said tugging at her sleeve. "Let's play!"
"Play?" Clementine said clearly exhausted.
"Yeah, come on buddy, she's far too tired for games." Clem nodded in response and muttered 'yeah'. "I, however, am not."
"You aren't?" Clem asked sceptically.
"Not as much as you are."
AJ let go of Clem and started tugging at Louis' shirt. "I could do with a nap. Thanks Lou."
"Lou?" Louis was holding back a laugh as he almost choked at the nickname. "That's new."
"Oh, shut up." Clem said playfully.

If AJ wasn't there, tugging at his arm, eager to have a bit more fun before the day begun to end, he would have walked up to her, kissed her on her check and walk her to her room. He'd have tucked her in bed, served her dinner and made sure she was comfortable for the night. Instead he started to walk out of the library holding the child's hand whispering 'I'll see you later' when walking past Clem.

She sighed a 'if I'm awake' before she smiled her goodbye to the two boys and making her way to her room.

||Clem's POV
Clem hung her hat and jacket - which she rarely took off - on a chair and took off her shoes leaving them near her bed. She sighed and collapsed onto her mattress and closed her eyes, almost instantly falling asleep.

She heard Louis tuck in AJ before he woke her up for dinner which they ate sat side by side, hand in hand.

||Thanks for reading!!
So for the first time, I experienced MAJOR writers block when writing this chapter. I rewrote it about 3 times because I didn't like where it was going and I'm still not 100% happy with how it turned out but here we are 🤷🏽‍♀️.
Anyway, I actually have loads of ideas I want to write about but I can't add them in this story because they're either AU's or awkward flirts before they're a couple (which they already are in this story) so I was wondering if anyone would read a book full of oneshots? I kinda really wanna do a few oneshots but I just wanna know if anyone would be interested.