Always Be You

||Aasim's POV
"Can you two stop laughing." Aasim whined looking back at the couple who walked next to each other.

"Oh come on Aas. It's just a little fun." Louis said, Clem letting out a snort at the nickname.

"What did I say about calling me 'Aas'."

Louis shrugged. "It's funny."

"It's immature."

"Same difference." Louis said, Clem laughing again.

"Seriously. You're gonna draw unwanted attention." Aasim huffed.

"S-sorry. I don't know what's happening. I can't stop laughing." Clementine laughed.

"Well here's something to not laugh about. We've been walking for hours and nothing. No food."

"And in a more positive light. We've seen no walkers." Louis victory punched the air, "it's like they're dying out or something. Perfect if you ask me."

"Shut it and knock on some wood before you jinx it." Aasim huffed again.

"Didn't take you for the superstitious type." Louis quickly knocked a nearby tree, "Don't worry Aas, the wood has been knocked."

"Now shut it before I knock your head."

"My god. Remind me to never go hunting with you again, Aas, you really are a party pooper."

Aasim stopped walking and turned around to face Louis. "Why are you so-"

"Behind you!" Clem shouted before pushing Aasim to the side and cleanly stabbing a walker in the head.

"Shit thanks Clem." Aasim panted. "Told you you fucking jinxed it!" Aasim said rolling his eyes at Louis before continuing to walk.

"I say we head back. We aren't being very productive." Louis said, glaring at Aasim.

"We can't go back empty handed again. And you know the greenhouse isn't farming as good as it used to."

"You act like we're gonna starve to death." Louis said. "We still have food, remember? We'll probably have better luck tomorrow. Let's. Go."

"Guys stop." Clementine said in a raised voice. "Do you hear that."

Both boys went quiet and stopped walking to focus upon an apparent sound. After a few seconds, they heard it. Someone was whimpering in pain. And they were calling for help.

"What the fuck?" Louis whispered.

"It's coming from this direction." Clem said while walking slowly towards the noise.

"Um, hey!" Louis said, gently grabbing Clem's wrist. "Don't be stupid, let's head back."

"We can't leave someone we might be able to help."

Louis scrunched his eyebrows - he agreed, without a doubt, but they also could risk their lives for what may have been a trap.

"I'm going with you." Louis said, a slight sternness in his voice.

Without too much objection, the two followed the voice, Aasim trailing behind, eyes looking out for any undead predators.

Before long, the had found the source of the cries. A young man, around his mid 20s, was perched up on a tree, holding his arm as he screamed in agony.

"P-please..." he called out into the distance.

"He's drawing attention." Louis whispered.

Sparing one glance at Louis, Clem hurried her way towards the man, drawing her bow at the man.

"Quick, we want to help. Are you alone." Clem sternly said to the man.

"What is she doing?" Louis whispered, standing up.

"Just help! I'm alone please!" the man begged.

"Watch my back." She said before lowering her weapon to look at the mans injury.

The leaves and sticks beneath Louis and Aasim's feet scrunched as the revealed themselves, observing their surroundings carefully.

"What happened?" Clem said, trying to roll up the mans bloody sleeve.

"Surrounded a-and attacked. My people - gone! W-where's home?"

"What do you mean you were attacked."

"Noise. So much noise. I told them it was dangerous - I swear I did!" His breathing began to slow. "Noise drew them closer. Closer than they already were. Please help, I don't want to die!"

"Who's they!"

"They came. Walkers."

Soon, the mans eyes closed and his body became limp.

"What does he mean, 'walkers'?" Louis asked.

"I think-." A soft growling came from the man before it tried, and failed, to jump out towards Clem. Instinctively, she pierced its head with her knife. "He was bit..."

"Holy shit!" Aasim breathed. "Why would he do that? He knew he'd turn! Why would he let us get so close."

"We're going home." Louis stated before grabbing Clem's wrist. "Now."

The walk home was awkward and tense. Silence engulfed the journey as Louis looked visibly annoyed. Every time Clem went to talk, she bit her tongue and swallowed her words determined to keep their inevitable conversation for the privacy of their own room.

~

||Clem's POV
After arriving at the school, the pair had both headed to Clem's bedroom, herself sitting on her bunk and Louis sitting on AJ's.

Louis' foot was impatiently tapping at the floor as he held his head in his arms. They sat in silence for what felt like years.

Clem huffed out. "Well if you're not going to say anything-"

"I'm thinking." Louis interrupted.

"About what." Clem said, crossing her arms.

"I'm trying to remember your exact words when you promised you wouldn't take stupid risks." Louis raised his head up to face her. "The same promise I kept."

"What do you mean, 'stupid risk'?"

No anger filled Louis' face, only a saddened expression, almost disappointment.

"I thought we agreed we couldn't lose each other."

"We're fine!"

"No. No I told you we should have went home. I told you it was dangerous."

"I'm fine."

"I'm not! How do you think I would have felt if you.. if you got-"

"I didnt!"

"But if you did. Knowing I didn't stop you, I would have never forgiven myself."

"I'm sorry..." Clem muttered. "It was stupid, I know..."

"I don't want an apology." Louis said, tone soft. "I just - I..." His head returned to his hands and his tapping foot quickened.

"I love you..." Clem whispered.

His head raised again, eyes stuck on hers. "I'm attached." he said, voice heavy. "I'm really attached and I'm scared. I don't know what I would do without you."

Clem's eyes widened.

"I can't keep my promise." Louis said.

"W-what?" Clementine said, voice low.

"I can't promise that if I had to choose between you and me that I'd pick me. It'll always be you who I choose. I can promise that."

||Thanks for reading!!

Yeah it's been a while but I finally updated. Don't really know what to say so yeah thanks for reading and I'll hopefully see y'all next chapter? (I'll make sure it isn't another 3 MONTH wait like woah yeah soz about that)