I Promise

|| Louis' POV
The next couple of days were filled with intense labour. Walls were reinforced, knives were sharpened but more importantly, a plan was made.

It was simple - lure Marcus and whoever came with him inside. From then, multiple pre-prepared traps will be ready to, hopefully, end the brawl.

Now that they had a plan, Louis could focus on the second thing he was worried about the most - Clementine. Ever since the morning with Marcus, she hadn't giving him more then a quick 'hi' before rushing away from him. Louis was almost 100% sure that this was an overreaction due to the way Louis had stepped forwards a couple days ago but he knew better than to accuse her. One thing Louis will never forget Marlon day is 'just remember, the girl you like is always right, even if they're wrong." so no matter how much Louis disliked this lack of attention, he wasn't about to argue about it.

But he wasn't going to stand for it either.

Just as the thought had hit his head, he saw Clementine carrying a large pile of wooden planks which were going to be used to reinforce weak spots in the walls. She was walking through the courtyard with a strained face probably caused by the weight she was carrying. Louis ran up to her.
"Hey, need some help?" He asked cautiously.
"I'm fine." Clem said stubbornly.
"Okay." Louis said while continuing to walk with her.
There was a couple seconds of silence before Louis opened his mouth to say something but was interrupted when Clem spoke, hesitantly.
"Actually, could you take a few..."
"Yeah, sure." He said with a massive grin.
He took a couple planks from the top of her pile and continued to walk to the gates. When they had reached the wall, they both dropped their piles and stood in an awkward silence for a couple seconds.
"We need to talk." "We need to talk." They said at the same time.
"After dinner." Clem said before walking back to the school.

The next couple hours were filled with hard work. Not a second was wasted as Marcus and his people could return at anytime. Whether that be hours or days. So when Omar has announced dinner was ready, he (and many others) had let out a sign of relief. As everyone was focusing most of their time on reinforcing the school, most of the food they had only came from the greenhouse. The dinners hadn't been filling recently but satisfied most. Enough, anyways.

People were starting to empty off to bed before Violet had offered to take watch so headed off towards the watch tower. Clem had convinced AJ to go to bed without her before looking at Louis and nodding her head towards the main entrance of the school, indicating she wanted to go inside to talk.
Without hesitating, Louis followed Clem into the building and, ultimately, to the piano room.

"I'm just going to be really direct..." Clementine said as soon as they both entered the room.
"Should I be sitting down?" Louis asked slowly.
"Maybe... I don't know - yeah! Yeah, sit." She finished, pointing at a nearby sofa.
Clementine sighed before she started slowly pacing in-front of him sat on the sofa, which, unsurprisingly, stressed him out more. What had he done?
"So this is going to sound super cliché but I do like you. A lot." Clementine kept her eyes off Louis as she paced. "And I really care about you. But for me, that's like some type of messed up contract confirming that something is gonna go wrong. I care for someone and they die or leave me or go missing. And it's just so fucked up. But I don't know if I can handle that again." Her face turned from sadness to anger. "And it really pisses me off when you do stupid shit and put yourself in crazy dangerous situations it just .... it's a lot, okay? And I thought you were serious about us - "
"- I am! - "
"- but you just threw yourself out there as if your life was a game. As if you couldn't die and if you did, you'd be revived by some strange miracle."
"I know what death is Clementine. I watched my best friend get shot dead. I'm not a fucking idiot..." he said, muttering the last bit.
She stopped pacing and slowly turned to face him. "I can not get attached if you're going to sacrifice yourself at every chance you get. It sucks Louis, it really does but I can't put myself through that." She crossed her arms before sighing again. "So unless you promise to keep yourself safe, this is over..."
"I-" Louis was lost for words. "What if it's between you or me - "
"You choose you." She said sternly.
"A-are you serious?"
"I've never been more serious."
"How could I live with myself knowing I could have saved you!" He said standing up.
"How could I live with myself knowing I was the cause of yet another persons death!" Clementines hands dropped to her sides.
"This is insane." Louis rubbed his head with his hand, facing away from her.
"For you, maybe. But this means so much for me."
"And if you had to choose between you and me?" Louis said facing her again. "You choose you."
"I promise." She said, looking directly into his eyes as if she was hypnotising him. He had her full concentration and she had his. He dropped his hands by his side.
"I promise." He returned.
They now stood close. He could hear her breath and she could, no doubt hear his. Her face was unreadable - was she sad? Grateful? Relieved? He didn't know. But before he thought twice about doing so, he leaned in and held her in a strong, warm embrace which she soon returned. He wasn't sure if the muffled noise he heard was crying but the wet patch that had started to form on his shirt confirmed it was. The room was silent apart from her sobs, his breathing and their synchronised heart beats.

Louis concluded this new world was too cruel for love or beauty.

It was too cruel for the oh so precious girl he held in his arms.

||Thanks for reading!!
Hope you enjoyeddd. I've started replaying TWD from season 1 and it's just exaggerated why I love this series so much. I'm gonna end this with an unpopular opinion though - I don't think season 3 (a new frontier) was bad at all. Of course it would have been cool to stick with Clementine but that season gets way more hate than it deserves tbh.  Anyways, see you in the next chapter xxx