Feelings for Clementine

Before I start I want to say thank you for reaching 100 reads! I will say a proper thank you at the end but I know some people prefer to skip what I say at the end (which is totally fine!) so I wanted to make sure everyone heard my appreciation. 💞

||Louis' POV
Louis woke up with his hand in Clem's. Although is body aches for him to stretch, he'd much rather stay there watching her as she slept, holding her hand and fighting off any nightmares that dared to attack. He had noticed that her eyebrows had a naturally clean shape and that her hands were reasonably soft - two things he hadn't expected from someone who had survived so long in the apocalypse. His thoughts were interrupted by a soft knock at the door. In an effort to not wake Clementine, he slowly moved his hand out of hers feeling an almost instant chill as he did so.
After Louis had opened the door, he was met with the face he had least expected.
"Aasim?"
"Louis?" Aasim replied with a face first filled with confusion, and then, curiosity. "Is Clem there?" he followed with a smirk.
Louis stepped outside closing the door behind him.  "Yeah, she's sleeping." Louis replied with slightly scrunched eyebrows.
"Yeah, Violet said she might be. I just needed someone to go hunting with."
Remembering how Clem had covered his work while he was catching up on some much needed sleep a bit earlier, he said, without hesitation, "I'm free."
Aasim let out a frustrated sigh. "You sure there's nothing else that needs doing?"
Louis stared at him disapprovingly.
"Ugh ... sure whatever. Could need an extra hand - even if it's you."
"Especially if it's me." Louis replied with a smirk before walking past him to collect 'Chairles' from his room.

They'd been walking for about 45 minutes finding nothing but empty traps and the odd walker but neither had started a conversation yet.
"I'm so gonna regret asking this," Aasim muttered to himself. "What were you doing in Clementine's room?" he asked confidently.
"W-what?" Louis choked out.
"I said w-"
"I know what you said."
He knew what Aasim was thinking. And it was all wrong. Of course his question came out of curiosity and hadn't meant any harm but it really had sent Louis' mind racing. He wasn't entirely sure what he was actually doing there. Of course the obvious reason was to help Clementine sleep but he would have much rather had had a long, in depth conversation with her which, alone, made him question his true intentions. Although he knew they didn't need it, he loved the thought of protecting both Clem and AJ as if they were his family - even if that meant protecting them from himself.
"She was having trouble sleeping."
"Fair enough."
"I knew she hasn't been sleeping much - you can just tell can't you? - I was just making sure she was actually getting some rest."
"I hadn't noticed, no. I guess I don't pay as much attention to the way she behaves as you do."
There was a short silence.
"She's pretty cool." Louis said in a voice just above a whisper. "For a girl, I mean."
Aasim turned to face him with a slight smirk. "You're such an idiot. And I mean even more of an idiot than I had already thought you were."
"Gotta admit all the other girls are a bit...how do I say this nicely?... boring?"
Aasim laughed. "Hahaha, harsh, especially coming from you."
"I guess she just stands out a bit doesn't she?" Louis continued, ignoring Aasim's remark.
"Hey, careful, you've only known her like 2 weeks."
"She doesn't mind talking about her feelings either. She doesn't get all funny if you ask questions. She's great at telling stories but great at listening too. Shit, even I can't do that - tell stories and listen at the same time."
"Trust me, I know."
"But she can. And have you seen her eyes? I don't mean just at a glance. I mean have you ever proper stared into them?"
"No Louis, I haven't."
"They shine you know? Glisten. They're full of hope even if she doesn't believe there's any hope left."
"Oh. My. God." Aasim said, coming to a halt.
"And her voice is just ama- hey! Why'd you stop?" Louis said turning to face him.
"You - ugh fuck." Aasim placed his hand on his face. "I don't want to hear about... about this, okay?"
"About what?"
"You and your feelings. Save them for Clementine," Louis then looked at him confused. "Especially when they're feelings for Clementine."
Louis' jaw dropped.
"You are not saying what I think you are, Aasim."
"Whatever, lets just finish checking these traps." Aasim walked past Louis continuing the journey.
"No, you wait up!" Louis caught up to him, "I positivity, absolutely do NOT have 'feelings' for Clementine. I mean sure she's cool. And sure maybe she's a little ... pretty - only a little though! But by no means does that mean I-"
"Just shut the fuck up Louis, you're gonna draw walkers."
"Whatever..." he muttered.
"If you find a hare, do us a favour and kill it."
"I know what I'm doing..."

The rest of the traps were empty but both Louis and Aasim had killed a few animals - all a reasonable size. However, the rest of the journey was done in silence. When they arrived back at the school, it was starting to feel a bit colder as the day started to come to an end. Louis had spotted Tenn, AJ and Clementine (who looked considerably healthier after her nap) drawing at one of the tables. When Clem had turned her head to face Louis, she gave him a weak, yet thankful smile. His stomach felt weird - almost as if he was going to throw up but his heart fluttered as if this was something good. He quickly turned his head away from Clementine without returning her smile. He did NOT like her. He did NOT like her. He did NOT like her. Yet the butterflies, the heartache and the urge to protect her told him differently. They told him he had a serious problem. And that problem was his feelings for Clementine.

||Thank you for reading!
When I started writing this chapter last night, I had about 90 reads on this story so I was hoping to have reached 100 by the time I had finished this but I woke up this morning with around 120 reads and I'm so thankful! I really appreciate it 💞
Also, I wasn't entirely sure what I wanted to make of this chapter. I knew I wanted Louis talking about Clem to someone else but I didn't know who or why so I hope how I have written this chapter doesn't seem rushed as I have worked really hard to get this chapter done by today even though I've been really busy. I probably won't be able to update tomorrow but I want to express how tomorrow is the 2 week mark for episode 2 (exciting!!!) 🎉 Thank you again and see you in the next chapter 💞