A Better Choice

||AJ's POV
While looking for Clem, AJ had stumbled upon Louis, predictably, playing the piano. He seemed to be distracted though - making mistakes and then muttering swears before starting the piece of music from the beginning again.
"Clem says swears are bad," AJ said from the doorway, arms crossed and faced scrunched.
Clearly shocked, Louis faced AJ before sighing in relief when he realised who it was. "Yeah, she's right, little man, better listen to her." Louis moved up on his seat and patted the newly made space. "Joining me?"
AJ's lips curved to an instant smile as he pretty much ran to join him. "Clem says you're the best."
"W-what?"
"She says you're the best at making music."
"Oh, yeah?" Louis said with a cocky smirk.
"Well yeah, but that was a long time ago."
"Oh..." his smile dropped.
"She doesn't say anything about you anymore. Nothing good anyway." AJ scrunched his face again before standing up again. "You make her upset and I don't like it."
Louis just stared at him in shock.
"She says you don't talk to her anymore. You made her happy but then you made her sad and- and you didn't even say sorry."
"Well, I- I guess I'm sorry."
"I know you're angry. Angry at me for what I did to Marlon. But Clem is never happy anymore. She never was but she used to fake it to make me happy. She doesn't even do that anymore."
Louis laughed a sad cackle. "You're smart, you know that?"
"Clem says I am."
"Yeah, she's smart too." Louis aided AJ back to the chair. "I'm not angry about what happened. Not anymore at least."
"So why don't you talk to Clem?"
"I - I don't know..."
Louis looked sad which had confused AJ. Maybe they had had an argument? That's the only reason they would both be upset.
"You know she likes you! And trusts you. Maybe even more than she trusts me..."
"I like her too."
"I know."
After a few seconds AJ put his hand on the piano keys in front of him.
"I better get going, little man." Louis said while standing up.
"Wait. Can you teach me?"
"Yeah, I will. Later, I promise." Louis said. He winked before turning the corner.

||Louis' POV
Louis started looking for Clementine curious as to where she would be. She wasn't in her room, the greenhouse or the outside area.
"You seen Clem?" He asked Violet.
"She's hunting. With Aasim." She responded while sharpening some knives.
"Any idea how long she'll be?"
"Nope."
"Let me know when's she's back."
Violet nodded her head in response and continued her duty.
~
It had started to get dark and AJ had noticeably started to worry. Louis, although worried himself, had been trying to calm him down.
"I stand by what I said, AJ - Clem is far too smart and she knows what she's doing. Trust me buddy, don't worry yourself."
"What if there's someone smarter?..? AJ said in a voice just above a whisper.
"There's no one smarter." and as soon as the words came out his mouth, Clem and Aasim walked through the gates, laughing.
"Nonono, I'm telling you - shes never worn a hat since!"
Clementine erupted into a louder burst of laughter before AJ ran passed Louis and hugged her.
"Clem!"
"Hey, goofball."
"Louis said you'd come back."
Clementine's smile dropped. "Yeah, well here I am! Let's get some dinner yeah?"
AJ turned to face Louis, "Louis! Let's get dinner!"
"AJ, let's just g-"
"Come on Louis!"
"I said let's go!"
But AJ ignores Clem running towards him before tugging at his arm. "C'mon! Clem's back."
AJ dragged Louis towards Clem before running towards a large pot full of stew leaving him and Clem alone.
"Hey." Louis said.
"Hello." Clementine responded coldly.
"I-I was worried..."
"I'm here now - worry over." Clementine started walking towards the pot but Louis stopped her by grabbing her arm gently.
"Can we talk?"
Clementine pulled her arm from Louis' grip.
"After."
After what, he did not know, but something was better than nothing, so he waited for Clem to have gotten her food before he got his.

Dinner had been awkward ever since it happened. Anything and everything said reminded everyone of who they no longer had and it was hard on anyone.
"Let's play." Aasim said while sorting out a pack of cards. No one objected so Louis, Violet, Aasim and Clem waited for the cards. "Highest card tells the lowest card anything they want but the lowest card can't respond to whatever they say."
Clem sighed. "Sounds a bit lame if you don't get a response?"
"Not if the response is what you're afraid of." Aasim said while looking at Louis.
Violet got the highest card and Louis got the lowest.
"Right.. Louis..." Violet waited a couple seconds before sighing and saying "you're not as annoying as I make you out to be. I guess, sometimes you are a little ... funny."
"Haha! I knew it! You little-"
"You can't respond, idiot."
"Right." Louis motioned zipping his mouth shut but couldn't help but grin.
Louis then got the highest card, Aasim the lowest.
"I-I really don't want you to tell anyone about the thing you know..." Louis gulped, hoping that he would understand. After a second, he flipped his card indicating he understood.
Clem got the highest, Aasim the lowest.
"Thank you." Clem said while facing him. Louis saw Aasim smile at her before flipping another card. Louis was not only frightened by what she had meant but slightly jealous. Jealous how Aasim knew something about Clem that he didn't.
Violet then got the highest and Aasim got the lowest.
"I'm sure everyone agrees with me when I say you do so much more than we give you credit for."
Clem nodded while Louis simply stared back and forth at her and Aasim trying to push the thoughts that overwhelmed his head back.
Louis then got the lowest. And Clem got the highest.
"I don't know what I've done." And she flipped the next card.
"What?" Louis questioned.
Violet felt the tension. "Louis, you're not meant to respond-"
"I said I don't know what I've done." Clementine interrupted.
"You haven't done anything, what do you mean?"
"Then why ignore me?" Clementine said with no sound of pain or sadness in her voice but instead determination.
"I'm just confused, okay?"
"Confused?"
"Yeah confused."
"Yeah, well- well so am I!"
"It's nothing to do with you..."
Violet sighed as the argument got more heated.
"Nothing to do with me?!-"
"Seriously guys, this is not how you play the game." Aasim said.
"Clem I just ... I don't know okay..."
"Well if you don't know I guess no one will."
"Why are you making such a fuss?"
"You have got to be kidding me? I'm not making a -"
"I like you."
And it was done. He had admitted it. Not only to Clem but to himself. And when he heard Violet mutter 'for fucks sake I'm going to bed' he thought he had made a mistake. But when he saw Clementines face turn from pure shook to a small, hidden smile, he knew he couldn't have made a better choice.

||Thank you for reading!
Sorry I haven't updated in a while but I've had school and then I've been camping and had no time to write but I hope you've enjoyed this chapter! Also, this book passes 300 reads so thank you all so so much! I'll update soon thanks again for reading 💞.