SIXTEEN; SNOW

THE SNOW KISSED the ground gently, it was fresh. Silent. And like thoughts that come and go, the snowflakes fall, each one a reminder that no matter how small you are, a big impact can be made with allies.

The Cullen's stood to attention, watching as the Volturi stalked towards them. The crunching under boots echoed around the large space, drowning out the growling of werewolves and vampires alike.

Peace was on the tip of the tongue but war loomed in the back of the throat.

Poppy stood between her parents. This was the first time she had laid eyes on the cult but it was exactly as she imagined.

The two parties stared each other down from across the snowy field, waiting, watching for the other to make a move.

Scarlett stood forward first, Jasper swiftly following. "Aro" she beckoned. His ears perked up, waiting for her plea of help. "You can see that we mean no harm here"

The villian shook his head and clasped his hands together. "Quite the contrary, Miss Swan. I think you'll find that you have broken our age old rule, and you should be punished" Behind him, the Volturi guard erupted in cries of glee and agreement. Scarlett tightened her grip on her family.

"No" she was strong but felt weak. "You are wrong. These are not immoral children, see for yourself. They have blood running through their veins and hearts that pump, see their cheeks? Rosy red" Pausing, she looked at her daughter. "Aro, they are alive"

Closing his eyes, he listened for a heartbeat. The sound he heard was faint but it was enough. As if like a child in a candy shop, the excitement overruled the anger. "I'd like to meet them, see for myself"

"Aro, they have broken rules and should be punis-" Aro's hand flew up in front of Jane's face, silencing her instantly.

Before they moved an inch, Scarlett turned to Jasper. Reading his thoughts, she could hear that they were okay to move as long as they had back up and were safe. She nodded, the parents walked alongside Poppy and Renesmee. Jacob followed closely behind, caring for the one he had imprinted on. Rose and Emmett didn't falter in joining them. Nobody trusted the Volturi enough.

The walk was painfully long, every possible outcome for the scenario playing in Scarlett's head like it was from a movie.

Poppy wasn't as timid as Renesmee, inheriting her mother's fire. "What's your name?"

Scarlett held herself back from telling Poppy to be quiet, but to her surprise Aro bent down beside the small girl and smiled at her. "I'm Aro. Nice to meet you, what's your name?"

She smiled back. "Poppy" The man in front of her held out his hand and she graciously took it, everyone watching with concern. Aro's eyes lit up as he dug through the girls memories. Finally reaching a conclusion.

"Ah" he stood up, and stepped away. "It appears the girls have been born naturally. Their biological parents stand before us"

Jane was not happy. "They have still broken rules, they must be punished"

Edward stepped forward in front of the girls. "We have broken no rules. We wish to leave unharmed, now"

Jacob growled from behind them all and Scarlett pulled her daughter closer to her as Aro spoke. "Hmm" he pondered on his thoughts. "It appears we have came to an impasse" pausing, he looked at Scarlett. "I know how to let all of us get what we want"