THIRTEEN; POWER PLAY

POPPY LAY QUIETLY on my chest. Today was her one week anniversary of being born. She was perfect. Everything about her. Her head cuddled into the crook of my neck as Rose sat next to me, still completely in awe at her godchild. Bella was Poppy's biological aunt, so it was only fair to make Rose her godmother.

She never left our side, always wanting to be around the baby. It was no surprise that Poppy took a bigger liking to Rose than she did with Jasper, I think Rose just had a way with babies. And Daddy Jasper had no experience at all, but he was getting better at it.

He still held her like she was made of glass, I suppose he was being careful, at least. Carlisle had asked if we wanted to move out while the Volturi trial was happening but we both decided to stay here with our family and friends.

Renesmee and Poppy were similar in the way that they could both live on a diet of human food and animal blood, they both had beating hearts and rosy cheeks flushed with blood. But, they both grew at an alarming rate, despite how fast Poppy matured in my stomach.

Everyone, of course, loved her. Renesmee was trying to be a good cousin but as much as she tried, she was still a child and wasn't the most gentle. We were getting there though, when Bella held her Renesmee could use her gift to project stories and pictures to Poppy, which always made her face light up and giggle with glee.

"Is it my turn yet?" Rose held out her hands next to me. I smiled and nodded, eager to get out and see what was happening outside.

I lifted my hands under Poppy and placed her in Rose'a arms gently. She thanked me and started bouncing her in her arms, singing a song as she went along.

I quietly tiptoed out of the room and walked outside beside Jasper, who was watching Bella and Edward with Carlisle's friends. "What's going on?"

He looked down at me and slung his arm around my waist. "They're training, I think"

My ears perked up, listening to what was going on. "Sounds interesting, do you want to join them?" I definitely did.

His head shook. "I know all I need to know about my abilities" he looked away, pausing. "You, however, don't know that much. Maybe you can be taught a few things?"

"You're right. I should go down" My head rested on his arm and I felt a gentle kiss placed on my forehead. "This will be interesting"

"That's an understatement"

I smirked at him and walked towards Bella and Edward. They stood with Tanya and Kate, some vampires sat in the trees and on the rooftops, watching them.

They turned to me and I waved. "Hey. What are you doing?"

Kate sighed. "Trying, and failing, to help Bella enhance her power. You got any ideas?"

I held my hands up, laughing. "Trust me, if I knew how to, I would've done it a long time ago"

Tanya nodded to Bella, and then me. "What about using your sister as incentive? Maybe that will work?"

Bella frowned. "She's immune to my powers" she stopped herself. "Well, to all powers really"

Kate took this as a challenge, smirking. "All powers huh?" Before I knew it she came charging towards me, grabbing my hand and staring into my eyes, determination glazed over her. The cracklings of electricity and static filled the small space we were in for a few moments before she fell back, looking defeated. "You felt nothing"

My lips drew into a fine line. "Yep. Nothing at all"

"And how is this? Are you a shield like your sister?"

I shook my head. "No. Not exactly. I'm a syphon, so I steal those around me's powers if I'm around them long enough. I sort of stole Bella's shield before she even turned" The vampires around me took a step back and I laughed. "Don't worry, I need to be around you for a long time for it to work. It doesn't just happen, I wish"

Zafrina, a vampire that could control what those around them saw, stepped out from behind a tree. "And what if you could control it? Make it happen whenever you wished?"

That would be the dream. I would be unstoppable and could protect my whole family. "How?"

She walked towards me, smiling. "I can teach you. I know how"

"You would do that for me?" I almost sounded in disbelief that someone would help me take control of my ability finally.

"Yes. But, we start now. It won't take long for you to learn, it's very simple" She stopped and motioned to Kate. "Imagine her in your mind, imagine her power. Think about everything about her that you possibly can. Then, imagine that you have beams of light coming out of you" I tried my best to do what she was saying but it was difficult to completely clear my mind and think of Kate, I didn't know her that well. I nodded along with her instructions. "You need to get the light beams to go into Kate, and imagine yourself having Kate's power - really visualise it"

I closed my eyes and imagined. I felt nothing. I tried again, this time really thinking hard about huge light beams jumping from Kate, back and forth to me. This time, I felt something. All the hairs on my arms stood up like I was on a trampoline when I was a child. I opened my eyes slowly. "Did it work?"

Zafrina squinted. "Yes. But not strong enough. You'll need to work on it in order to take others powers temporarily in battle"

My head nodded. "Okay. I can work on it, I'll get better"

Bella smiled at me. "Soon you'll have us all beat"

I laughed. "I'm stealing all your powers. All of you are the truly powerful ones I just borrow it"

I thanked them for helping me and turned around, walking back to join Jasper where he stood. He looked proud. "That waa good, I'm impressed"

My hands clapped together. "You seen that right?! Wow, that felt amazing!"

I pulled him into a tight hug but it was quickly stopped by the sound of cracking electricity and him yelling out in pain. I jumped back, he tried to stop himself falling to the floor by holding onto the railings.

Every vampire in the woods snapped their heads in our direction, Jasper got up slowly as I was profusely apologising. I lifted up my hand to them and tried to smile. "Sorry! I didn't realise I still had some of Kate's juice"

I had soon realised that what Zafrina taught me definitely worked, and it was more powerful than I realised.