fifty - KOTLC

Sophie POV:

"You're here!" Linh cried the moment Sophie, Fitz and Biana tumbled on Foxfire's purple grass. Her normally pristine clothes were disheveled, and her face was as pale as a ghost's. Tam nor Wylie—not even Willow—were in sight.

"Linh!" Biana waved madly, "What happened?"

"I—it's the Neverseen," Linh stuttered.

"What?" Sophie asked. "What happened?"

Linh took a deep, shuddering breath. "Sorry, it's just, so many thing have happened since the Neverseen arrived."

"Where's everyone else? Isn't today a school day?" Sophie asked.

"It is," Linh said. "And it might be why they striked."

"That's why they Neverseen attacked Foxfire?" Biana gasped. 

"I'm not sure," Linh admitted, "but you need to know—what happened is not pretty, and I don't expect you to agree with the choices I've had to make. I'll tell you now, but we need to find everyone who stayed. There aren't many people, but they wanted to help, even if I suggested against."

"Does anyone else know that Foxfire is under attack? I mean, it's almost sunset," Fitz said. 

"They do," Linh answered as she gestured for them to follow her into the glass pyramid—which, Sophie realized for the first time—was shattered. Even the Elite towers were crumbling or fallen. It was a shocking sight.

"The Council and everyone else know that the Neverseen is here. It's like they're holding a siege over the school. Everyone who's still here either couldn't leap away in time or want to help fight back," Linh continued.

"Okay . . . so it was the end of the day?" Sophie asked. 

"Actually, yes," Linh said. "We were all saying bye and heading for the Leapmaster, but then all the leaping crystals shattered. I think it was outward channeling. But it prevented at least half of the prodigies from going home. I had my home crystal but I didn't use it. Most people did. I think . . . in the melee I gave my crystal to someone so that they could escape. I only remember that Tam and I refused to leave with a few other people . . . and then the Neverseen arrived."

Linh stopped in front of the Healing Center. "A little fast-forward," she said, "the Neverseen broadcast their 'reign' over Foxfire and the remaining students. The Council and nobility and even working-class elves were told their kids have to either swear fealty to the Neverseen to be set free—which no one has done so far—or in a week they'll be forced into the Neverseen."

"So . . . Why are the Neverseen recruiting? Haven't some people not even manifested?" Fitz asked, evidently puzzled.

"Everyone who hadn't manifested was sent home with a notice for recruiting for somebody else," Linh said, fidgeting. "The Neverseen put up some sort of light leaping-resistant force field so no one could come get us. But apparently not resistant to teleporting." She looked at Sophie appraisingly. "The Neverseen left . . . a little while before you showed up. Everyone decided to gather near the Healing Center or in it, you know, just in case."

Linh gestured to the few prodigies huddled out in the hall, either sniffling or planning. Most were planning. Sophie was glad there were so many people willing to help, but she was looking for a certain blond boy among the crowds.

Linh caught her scanning the crowd, "He's always been in the Healing Center. The last time I checked on him was right before the Neverseen attacked. Keefe should be fine."

The small group pushed open the door to find Elwin—dressed in a rumpled tunic covered in fluffy dinosaurs—treating various prodigies with scratches, bruises, and only one twisted ankle. Sophie squinted, looking all over the room—again—but . . . Keefe wasn't there.