twenty - KOTLC

Fitz POV:

It had been five minutes since Sophie, Biana and a lot more elves that probably should be named but let's just call them 'the others' left to confront the dragons.

So, it has been five  minutes since Sophie, Biana and the others left to go confront the dragons.

And Fitz was already worried.

What if they had been eaten?

What if Sophie couldn't talk some sense into them?

What if they were fighting?

What if there was a war?

What if . . .

So many 'what ifs'.

"Whoa, whoa, Fitzy. You are hitting me with some serious worry." Keefe said teasingly, fanning the air around his face.

"You can't even feel my emotions through the air," Fitz grumbled. But he was pretty sure that Keefe was also hitting himself with a lot more worry than Fitz was.

In fact, there was a crinkle between his brows.

They waited five more minutes.

Another five minutes.

And another.

And another.

Then, Keefe said, "Hey, is that a certain chain of elves that went to confront dragons?" and Fitz suddenly felt awake again.

But GUESS WHAT.

It turned out to be about a hundred seagulls, examining the dome.

Fitz wanted to take a nap, after waiting for yet another fifteen minutes.

Then Keefe said, "Isn't that Biana?"

And Fitz looked up, expecting his sister but instead finding a humongous eagle.

"Whoops," Keefe said sheepishly when Fitz glared at him. "I have horrible eyesight."

"Yeah, totally NOT sarcastic," Fitz said, making his way to a boulder.

"Wow, you stand for, like, twenty minutes and you need to sit down?" Keefe asked.

"Actually, it was forty minutes, if you can even count, and, no." he replied.

They waited for yet another fifteen minutes, and by then, Keefe had plopped his big fat butt on the boulder too.

"Hey! It's them!" Keefe cried, bounding to his feet.

Now that Keefe had tricked him twice, Fitz didn't bother looking up at the blue jay or pigeon or whatever else might be there now.

"How did it go?" Councillor Emery called.

"Good. As long as we don't attack them, they won't attack us." A voice called.

Now Fitz decided to look up, and he saw Sophie, Biana, and the others, talking to the Councillors. There were relieved smiles abound, and the elves that had returned from teh other planet didn't look like they had been chewed by dragons and weren't missing limbs (although Elwin was still checking them just in case) so it was probably no deal.

Right?

But then they all heard an agonized roar, somewhere up above.

And Fitz could tell that whatever it was was not good.