seventy - KOTLC

Sophie POV:

Sophie. 

Sophie. Can you hear me? You need to wake up.

Sophie shifted, rolling on her other side. 

"I've almost got it," a familiar voice said, which was followed by clanking. 

Sophie! an accented voice said. 

Sophie blinked. She knew these voices. 

It's me, the voice said.

Sophie bolted awake. 

The dark room was lit by a single, dying bulb swaying gently from side to side. Three figures in black cloaks with the white eye on the sleeve were fiddling with some metal things attached to her. Chains.

"Sophie?" Fitz asked, steadying her when she almost collapsed again. "Are you okay, Sophie?" 

She tried to nod, but her head felt heavy. She tried to rub her eyes, but her hands just couldn't reach. She frowned. "What happened?" 

"We're here to rescue you," a sweet voice said. "Fitz was transmitting to you, and you said that the Neverseen gave you a circlet. And then he went to steal some Neverseen cloaks and he couldn't connect with you again. We had to guess where you were."

"What?" Sophie asked.

"Done!" Dex cried. The metal chains fell to the floor, giving a small clank. Sophie stood on wobbly legs and put on the cloak Fitz offered her. She rubbed her temples: something wasn't right. 

"Why . . . why do you need to rescue me? Where . . . am I?" Sophie looked around. The room was small, and the back corner where she had woken up had only a small pile of dirty blankets, a flat-looking pillow that had almost no stuffing, and the short chains she had been in a few seconds ago. On the opposite side there was a single bed with thin blankets and a single shackle, but no one was there. Why did she think that her room used to look prettier?

Sophie's three friends stared at her, dumbstruck. "You were captured by the Neverseen. At Foxfire. Ring any bells?" Dex asked. 

Their expressions told them that she should have said, 'Oh, yeah, sorry, just kidding,' and all four of them would laugh. But really, Sophie didn't really remember. Sure, she remembered Glimmer leaping away with her, but after that . . . 

Sophie frowned. She didn't remember anything that had happened after that. Nothing, until what was happening . . . now. And if she was correct, then her second kidnapping had taken place at least a month ago. So that meant . . .

"I . . ." Sophie hesitated. "No,"

The other three blinked. Then Fitz scowled. "So that means you just lost a whole month and a half's worth of memories? In the half an hour it took for us to steal the cloaks to now?" he shouted, then realized where he was. He lowered his voice, "You were fine a while ago. And now what? Amnesia?" 

"Sorry!" Sophie said, getting defensive. "I didn't exactly want to be an amnesiac! I don't know what happened! My last memory before you woke me up was Glimmer taking me! The Neverseen must have done this." 

"Great," Fitz scoffed. "Now the Neverseen can just steal the memories from your impenetrable mind."

"I can't help it! I don't remember anything!" Sophie cried. 

"Well—"

"Are you sure?" Linh interrupted, shooting a glance at Fitz. 

Fitz looked like he wanted to argue more, but Dex shot him an even more withering glare and he shut up. Dex turned back to Sophie. "Look, I'm sure you're fine, Sophie. You have a photographic memory, so—"