eighty six - Wings of Fire

Sundew POV:

The murky water didn't mute the BOOM. The freezing water didn't dull the heat. 

The explosion certainly did not ease Sundew's worries about this battle. 

When the heat cooled and the ringing in her ears faded, Sundew gathered up the courage to peek at the world above. 

When the Keefe elf unfroze them, Sundew had herded all her dragons—that she could find—and brought them to this sea. She didn't know what it was, only that it was on the reading monkeys'  planet and that it was DISGUSTING.

Either way, it saved them, so she had no complaints. Mostly. 

"Up!" Sundew tried to shout through the water, but it ended up being a stream of bubbles. She lifted her head above water, drinking in the glorious air. "Wasp is probasbly still alive! Although I vote for her death!" 

Her LeafWings—and many other SilkWings and SandWings and SeaWings (who Sundew supposed didn't care about the underwater situation) and SkyWings and RainWings and NightWings and IceWings (who had thankfully come) all immediately rose from the depths of wherever Sundew had led them. They were a bit far from the elvin city, given its distance from this sea, but Sundew's sharp vision saw the HiveWings congregating on the shores and in the sky. 

A quick glance at the sky also told her that the dragons who had sought refuge in their own waters were descending upon the HiveWings, too. Good. They needed all the backup they could get. Wasp was going down

But . . . the HiveWings—and all other mind-controlled dragons—were also ready. Prepared for battle. As Sundew sped towards the mainland, her wings faltered—only a bit, but enough. This ruthless queen killed so many. Including her Willow. She would die for that, that was for certain. But would it be enough? Would the dragons controlled be freed? Would her death—the death of one dragon, no matter how evil—really pay back for all and everyone that was lost? Sundew wasn't sure, but maybe destiny would surprise her. 

Sundew's hope dimmed a little, though, when she got closer to the continent. There were piles of ashes everywhere. Yes, Sundew had heard the elves could control their body heat, and that's probably how so many of them survived. But there were dragons who didn't make it and were now charred, and smaller piles of dead people showed that not every elf had survived.

A mountain range on Sundew's right had been swarming with dragons before—she was told that's where Queen Wasp's bait—the humans—were being held. Someone had told her the mountains' names before; she just couldn't remember. Hippopotamus? Hexagon? Himalayas?

Well, all those dragons were gone now—and good riddance. More HiveWings would not improve Sundew's mood. In fact, she felt like a flying cloud of doom. Because now she'd spotted the evil queen herself—Wasp, in the flesh. 

Orders were shouted by queens, and Sundew joined in the shouting. "Head for Wasp! She's the head! Literally!" she yelled. Her LeafWings broke up into smaller groups, trying to break through in different points of the dragon-shield Wasp had created, 

But Sundew wasn't going for the shield. She was going for the queen. Like she'd said, this dragon was the head: Sundew wasn't sure, but if Wasp was dead . . . most likely the rest of the dragons would be freed?

Even if that didn't work, Sundew would relish in killing the HiveWing queen any day. Well, today was that day.

She threw fire ants, slashed at underbellies, kicked wings, sliced heads off bodies with a sword. She fell into a sort of pattern—even like a dance: ants, kick, sword, slash. Ants, kick, sword, slash. Ants, kick, sword—