thirty eight - KOTLC

Sophie POV:

"THAT was the MOST ANNOYING interrogation in all of Phyrria, Pantala and your little scavenger planet." A dragon—was it Sundew?—said to Sophie. "I couldn't understnad a WORD but that . . . that THING—" she pointed to Vespera, who stared back innocently, "was SO ANNOYING ANWAYS."

"I agree. Vespera really is different from when I last saw her though. Last time we were in . . . Loamnore . . . No, wait, I didn't see her there. But she is definitely different from Nightfall. She's . . . less intent on making us ruthless. I wonder what happened?" Sophie said.

"I have no idea what you just tried to tell me." Sundew said. "You can go tell that to some other scavenger, I guess. Not ME."

"I heard that. And I agree." Fitz said from behind her.

Sophie turned and smiled at him. "So what do you think happened?" She asked.

"Maybe being with Lady Gisela has something to do with it." He suggested.

"Speaking of Lady Gisela . . ." Sophie said.

"Keefe." They said at the same time.

"I wonder how he is?" Sophie said softly. "I'm sort of regretting leaving him all alone now—what if he woke up?" Sophie gasped.

"No reason to worry, Sophie. You know Keefe is going to be fine. And besides, Tam, Linh and Wylie are going back soon and they can check on him for you. All you need to do is ask them telepathically." Fitz told her.

"Still, I'm worried." Sophie said. "Well, I better go tell Linh to be sure to check on Keefe for me."

She found Tam, Linh and Wylie, along with a few dragons—Sundew, Willow and Moon—outside near the ocean, where the fading rays of sunshine would be enough light for the leap.

As Sophie hurried over to them, she heard Linh asking Wylie whether or not the leap will work, since they were leaping from one planet to another.

Wylie looked uncertain, but he said it should work.

Now, Sophie knew Fitz had said that Tam, Linh and Wylie can check on Keefe for her, but she wanted to go nonetheless.

"I'll teleport you guys." She offered. "You know, in case it doesn't work? My teleporting worked before . . ."

"Oh, sure!" Linh said, her face relaxing the worry lines in her forehead.

So Tam, Linh, Wylie and Sophie levitated high above the clouds, prepared to drop.

What they didn't notice was the ascent of a dragon who was now currently beside them, hidden through the clouds.

There was shouting below, but no one could hear it.

When the elves dropped, so did the dragon.

When the elves went into the crack into the void, so did the dragon.

"Willow?" Sophie asked when they were in the void. She frowned. She wasn't against the LeafWing coming, exactly, but this was unplanned. She was lucky she wasn't sent to some othre part of the void or something. Sophie wasn't sure how that would work.

"Hi!" Willow chirped. "I thought I should tag along."

"Sure! But . . . why?" Linh asked.

"Oh, you know. To be proof of my planet! To be a backup argument! To be a bodyguard! OK, maybe not the last one. Sundew's better at that than I am." Willow said thoughtfully.

"Oh . . . okay. Well, can you grab on to Wylie? I think it's best if you keep in contact with us." Sophie suggested.

"Sure thing," Willow said.

Wylie looked much more uncomfortable. But he reached out and grasped Willow's forearm, practically side hugging it.

"Don't worry, I don't bite." Willow laughed.

Wylie took one look at her teeth and winced. Sophie fought the urge to laugh. "Alright, to Foxfire!" Sophie cried.

The superhero-like moment (Sophie had pumped her fist) was ruined when Tam asked, "Any particular reason? Havenfield seems better."

Sophie blushed. "I wanted to check on Keefe."

"I thought you had a boyfriend." He said.

"Keefe's my friend!" Sophie said, now probably as red as a beet. Tam smirked. "So we're going to Foxfire. Wylie can leap you to Havenfield later."

And with that, they tumbled in the purple grass of Foxfire.