Chapter XXIV- a confession

Sophie-

My eyes flickered over him, taking in all that there was. I'm not going to lie, I had never seen a more attractive being in my entire life. But, that being said, I knew nothing about him, and whatever this bond I felt was- well I was suspicious of it.

"So.... you're my mate?" I started, unsure of exactly where I was going with this conversation.

"As fate would have it, indeed I am," his gaze didn't leave mine as he spoke.

"Like- forever?" I gulped, forever seemed like a long time, especially for a 16 year old girl who just realized she's immortal.

"Why- do you not want to be with me?" his voice was calm, but I could hear the pain in it. The thought of him being in pain- I couldn't handle it.

"No no no- not what I mean at all- it's just," I hesitate, not sure how to word my feelings, "let me explain some things to you. Look, I may not have human blood, but for the past 16 years of my life, I've been functionally human. Currently, to the outside observer I am human. So, I've loved like a human for these years," I pause to look at his face, searching for any sort of animosity, none is there.

I sigh, "I fell head over heels in love with a boy when I was in middle school, we had grown up together, he was even a guest at my 2nd birthday party. Years passed by, and I did anything I could to get his attention, including dating his best friend and a couple other guys, as well as doing wild things. It was pitiful, and embarrassing, and I honestly have no clue why I was remotely interested in him. He treated me like shit- even just as a friend- he always would flirt with me and talk about my body in a sexual way- and one day, I grew so desperate for his affection, I slept with him. It was in the back of his car in an empty parking lot and it was absolute hell."

I refuse to make eye contact as I continue the story, staring down at my hands, "Afterwards, I told him I liked him, he told me he didn't even find me attractive, instead said I was a 6/10. Which- felt really great, coming from the guy who watched me go through years of eating disorders-and don't you fucking dare say 'you don't look live you've had an eating disorder' or 'Why? You're too skinny or pretty', I'm sick of it.

"Oddly, I felt nothing for him. No feelings whatsoever, and I realized, I just wanted the unattainable. He had pulled me down with him after his father had died, dragging me down as he got involved in drugs, he towed me behind him when he got kicked out of school, and then made me watch it all burn when he didn't text me shit since the day after. And then I was shipped to Ireland so I didn't lose my mind. "

"I have never believed in love- not since I was eight and my dad took me out to dinner and asked me if he could divorce my mom, the mother of me and my four other siblings, and then continued to weigh it over my head ever since, threatening to have their marriage annulled. I knew love was nothing when in freshman year two senior boys placed a bet to see who could get my pants first. I knew love didn't exist when this and worse happened to every single one of my friends."

I realize tears are leaking out of my eyes, but I maintain my focus away from him, too scared to see his reaction. "And I get here, forced to be a slave for some evil queen. The girls tell me stories of mates, and how they knew they'd never have a mate because mates wouldn't want tainted objects- and so forgive me, if I'm a little hesitant to trust in this bond."

I spat the last line, anger beginning to bubble deep down inside of me, anger at the world and at my circumstances consumed me.

Suddenly, I felt sparks shoot out across my face as his hand lifted my chin, tears streaming out of my eyes, I was forced to face him. And when my gaze met his, my breath caught in shock of the emotions displayed on his face. There was no anger or even pity at my words, only a softness that I could almost mistake as love.

"Please, let me prove to you love exists, let me love you. Let me prove to you that I am worthy of your love," he begged. I ever thought I'd see a man humbled to such a point that he was begging for me to let him love me. I simply stood there utterly dumbfounded.

I nodded, and for a split second, as his eyes flickered downwards towards my lips, I thought he would kiss me. Instead, he planted a small kiss on my forehead before pulling back, and glancing all over my face.

"Siofra, I swear on my life, I will protect you," he muttered, his voice full of passion. His blue eyes blazing as he bore into my eyes. For better or for worse, I trusted him.

Suddenly, a knock sounded at the door, sending a jolt between us, breaking the intimate moment apart. I cleared my throat as Ciardha stood up, his face returning to it's stone cold, emotionless disposition as before.

"Yes?" I called out, my voice shaky and raw from emotion.

"Sophie? It's me- Muirgen. I think we should talk," a voice called from behind the door. I gulped.

Welp- I hope that brings out a little of sophie's back story into the plot. I hope y'all are enjoying this book. I have another book which is nowhere near this style of writing but It's odd that it's had many many more reads but much less comments/votes... odd. Anyway- I hope y'all like it! Any thoughts or predictions??