Chapter XVIII- Chaos

Sophie:

In all honesty, I have no idea what was happening but I wasn't enjoying it. I saw Muirgen here with the other Merrows, which I realized was some sort of mermaid-ish thingy.

Realizing that both enraged me and confused me. First of all, why did she push me so hard to want to be queen? She must have known that they would take me, right? The only thing I had told myself until now was that they didn't take girls before me because they were human. Obviously Muirgen wasn't human, and she wasn't owned by Étain.

A thought flashed through my head, Was Muirgen working for Étain? But as soon as I had that thought, I shook it off. There's no way, and I refused to believe the one person who welcomed me so fully was evil. I might regret that later, but I refuse to let doubt corrupt me.

I also sensed an odd presence in the room, giving me an odd, fluttering feeling in my stomach. I couldn't quite place it, but the usual smell of body odor and too much perfume melted away and was replaced with one of... sandalwood and some sort of incense? I couldn't quite place it, but I let my thoughts and worries melt away as I danced.

I watched as people danced around me on the ground, refusing to make eye contact or even look towards Muirgen. Despite any hope I had of us having a kickass escape plan together, I doubted it. Though I wasn't assuming the worst, I no longer trusted her. Also, I didn't plan on endangering her by alerting anyone of our relationship.

I suddenly felt the need to draw attention to myself. I don't know what came over me, but I decided I was sick and tired of feeling so controlled. I knew damn well I couldn't do something that could get someone hurt, but what if I did the extreme of what she wanted to the point I was untamed?

It was an odd thought, but as soon as the music changed, I let my hips and body move to it's bouncing beat, trying to think of any dance moves I'd learned from the internet and my cheerleading days. I danced quickly and sensually, and had fun. Despite my mutual hatred for my body and for how I looked dancing, I loved to dance.

Suddenly I twirled around and my eyes made direct contact with those same goddamn blue eyes. I felt my face drain off all it's color as I stared at the eyes' owner. I saw some Dread- Pirate- Roberts looking guy sitting in a chair, watching me tentatively. He was dressed head to toe, leaving me to imagine it all. All I could see was his eyes and lower half of his face. Despite this, I felt flustered looking at his jawline that was so sharp it could cut a man, and his cool toned skin.

For a moment, our eyes met, and I felt that same, explosive feeling rise through my body, but as soon as it happened, his eyes went cold, calculating, and looked away from me. It happened so fast I could have just imagined it.

Panic began to fill my body, something was going to happen. I felt it deep in my bones, but what?

I looked away, shaking my head, and continued to dance, even more frivolously than before. I sure as hell had no interest in a mate. Why would I want one? I didn't believe in love anymore, even if fate created it. My priority would be escaping, and I didn't want to think about him rejecting me. Rejecting me. Pain shot through my entire being at the thought, but I just grit my teeth and swung my hips, repeating the chat my best friend at home and I had screamed before I left. Boys aint shit. And that's a fact.

Also, why would I want a man who'd come to a place like this? One where the highlight were the girls, girls forced to be with you. I sure as hell didn't.

I tossed my hair, and decided I'd flirt with some guests. I noticed a boy leaning against the wall in the background. I walked up to him, a devastating handsome man, who towered over me. He had thick dark eyebrows, lightly tanned skin, and white hair. I noticed his seafoam green eyes, and grabbed his hand, and pulled him towards the pool, where people were dancing. I smiled as I watched his shocked expression, and began to dance against him, pressing my body to his. He didn't look much older than me, maybe 3 years at most, but I knew better than to assume that.

"What's your name?" he said, softly, but visibly discomforted.

I avoided this question, unable to lie. "Call me whatever you want," I let my voice be easy and sultry. Nausea began to fill my stomach, but I hid it by biting my lip, while looking up at him wide eyed and innocently.

Suddenly, a voice called me out of my haze aggressively. Despite it's horrid owner, I felt a sense of relief. I put myself in that position, but I felt slimy and wrong to try to be with someone else.

"Sophie," Queen Étain demanded, and I turned to see her dressed in a black leather form fitting dress, showing off her jaw dropping curves. I lifted my chin and looked at her in the eyes demandingly. "We leave now, you are to accompany me to the Winter court, I have been called, and your virginity suddenly seems to have some worth as a gift for a possible ally."

Oh hell no, I thought, but I nodded, and followed her out, closely. I turned to flash an apologetic smile at the white haired man, but he was no were to be seen. I looked around the room, but neither was the Princess Bride looking-guy, nor Muirgen. I tried to look for summer, but she seemed to be preoccupied, leaning over a man until her chest was nearly falling out of her swimsuit.

I didn't think much of it, and continued behind Étain closely, making sure to not show that anything was amiss. I had so much to hide from a woman who seemed like she could ready my soul, and with one look made me confess to things I didn't even do.

Without a moment of warning, Queen Étain turned around and slapped my across the face with immeasurable power, knocking me to the floor. Pain erupted through my body as my head hit the marble floor. She kicked her again and again, hitting every soft spot she could fide, I bit my lip until it bleed trying to suppress a cry. 

"You better stop dancing like that if you want people to believe you're a virgin," She spat at me, "Disobey me, and I'll make you slit another girl's throat. Understand?"

I simply nodded and glared at her, and then climbed up, throwing the middle finger up as soon as she turned around. As soon as I sat up, I spat blood onto the floor. I touched my face, and then looked down at the crimson liquid on my fingers. I knew I was going to be bruised, and maybe even broken a rib bone, but better me than someone else. I didn't realize she would be angry with me for following her orders. What. A. Bitch. 

As we walked away, a throbbing pain erupted from my ribs, worse than the one on my body, where the glowing lettering was. I clenched my jaw even harder, wondering how it still functioned at this point. I tried to distract myself, by imaging the man I was being given to. All I could imagine was a father Christmas meets Jack Frost, and I was not excited. My stomach sunk deeply, and fear began to consume me. 

Hii! please tell me your thoughts on the book so far... I am trying to write as much as I can. Also- feel free to give me reading recommendations! thanks for reading!