Chapter XV- Sleepover

Girls flooded into the bathroom, Summer leading, so see why I screamed. We all stared dumbfounded at the glowing, shimmering mark. I didn't even think to be embarrassed about my body and nudity.

It was silent for a few minutes before Summer cleared her throat. "Sophie, I think it'd be best if you got dressed and then we had some time to explain this world to you, and possibly that."

I nodded vigorously, and wrapped a warm towel around my body, and put a pink silk shift on. I then followed the group of girls as they spoke in hushed tones, whispering as we sat down huddled. Despite the circumstances, it felt like I was at a sleepover and we were about to gossip about the stupid things we'd done with boys and who we liked. For a second, it almost made me cry, wondering if I'd ever go to one again.

"Sophie," my eyes flicked up to summer, "Do you know why no one, besides your parents, knows your real name?"

I paused, thinking for a second. All the reason I had been told and had told others my entire life seemed weak. I shook my head.

"I heard what the queen called you. A Changeling. And if that's true, it means you have the same blood as the rest of us. You're not human, Sophie, you're Aos sì."

My first thought was, good god, I'm living through a fucked up version of every 13 year old's YA novel dream. Then, My face burned with anger, but I'm not sure at who. My parents, for lying to me? The world? The situation. Honestly, this was total bullshit. If anyone had told me this before I literally got kidnapped, I would have laughed in their face. Instead, I simply frowned.

"What even is a changeling? Aos sí? I am human, I look at it, I've gone to the doctor and they've done blood work and all that."

Summer hesitated, "first of all, we are all Aos sí, the highest ranking among the fae. The most human-like. We look a bit different, we don't age at a normal rate, if at all. We live here, in one of the many courts of Tír na nÓg, and we have our own cultures, we can't lie and we have mates," She said quickly. I understood like half that shit, but the last part made me interrupt her.

"Many courts? Mates?"

She nodded quickly, "Four courts for the seasons, Samhradh Court, or the summer court, Earrach Court, or the spring court, Geimhreadh Court, winter, and fall is the Fómhar Court. They all have their own realms, kings and queens, traditions, wars, and allies, but that's an explanation for another day. And the two high courts, Dorchat and Earom- who rule everything.

Mates- Well, Mates mean everything in our culture. It's the person the gods made you to be with. It's your Leanan sidhe. You know when you've met them, every girl dreams of meeting theirs..."

I frowned, "Why don't you have one?"

Summer snorted, and the other girls around her snickered and laughed lightly, "No man would want us, even our mate. Most of us have given up hope of one long ago. If my mate found me working here, he'd reject me so fast it wouldn't even faze me. Who would want to claim what is Queen Étains, let alone a whore? Tho most fae men sleep with so many girls they run out and have to venture to other realms or courts, and even father."

The girls all laughed at this, but it stung me deep inside. These girls, and now I guess me, know there is someone out there that was made just for them. A soulmate. But they all knew no man, even a soulmate, would ever claim them.I frowned to myself, but waited until Summer stopped laughing and continued.

"Now, another reason someone would reject their mate is if they have a child out with another. It is extremely difficult for us to reproduce, and children are rare. But, when it happens, it results in a Changeling. Aos sí will find families with still born babies, and replace them with fairy babes. They are often enchanted to hide their true identity, but there's both legends and true ways to spot a changeling: ravenous hunger, aptitude towards music, distaste for eggs and egg shells, inability to lie, but enjoys spinning the truth, unearthly beauty, intense emotions, etc."

Well, that sure as hell explained a lot of my problems.

"We think that mark on you is a charm wearing off. But I've never seen a charm quite like it. We should take you to a witch to see..."

Suddenly, the multitude of what they were saying hit me. I was a bastard child, rejected by my birth parents. The parents that raised me were not even my own parents? I was a fucking fairy? Bull-fucking-shit. Someone took me off this laughing gas because I am not having it.

Suddenly, another thought hit me. Those eyes. Those eyes I couldn't get out of my mind. The ones every time I close my eyes I see.

"I-I think I met my mate," I stuttered, clenching my jaw. Part of me wanted to find this man, and love him, but the rest of me didn't believe this mate bullshit, especially if you could so easily reject the person you were made for.

I watched as Summer glanced at another girl, and then she turned back to me, and whispered lowly, "Do not let Queen Étain know this, for she will take advantage of this and hurt you. As well as don't let on you know anything about them- or this mark for that matter. And most importantly "

I nodded aggressively. Summer sighed, "Go to sleep child, and try not to dream. We will be woken in the late afternoon to practice and get ready for the evening. A guest is coming."

I nodded slowly, feeling the pull of sleep already begin to take me. I rarely stayed up all night, I was always tired. I climbed into the bottom of the lush bunk bed I had, and stared at the ceiling, trying to come up with any way to escape until I passed out. 

Who do you think the guest is? Duh Duh DUh!!! Also- if you have any ideas or help for my writing please tell me! COMMENT VOTE BE NICE TO YOUR FAMILY or whatever... love y'all!