3 | Gryffindor!

Travelling up the large staircases with the other first years, I couldn't help but gawk at everything around me since arriving at the school. The walls were decorated with paintings, moving paintings to be exact. I jumped when the acrylic woman in a dress waved to me from the framed art, but it weirdly didn't take long to get used to.

As we approached the top of the staircase, a woman dressed in all black and a witch's hat stopped us. She was older and had a stern but caring look to her, which was welcoming for a bunch of new kids.

"Welcome to Hogwarts." she smiled at us before gesturing to the large doors behind her. "Now, in a few moments you will pass through these doors and join your classmates. But before you can take your seats, you must be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Now while you're here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you points. Any rule-breaking and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup-"

"Trevor!" a young boy pushed his way through the crowd before picking up a toad from the staircase. "Sorry." he apologized to the woman before disappearing back into the large crowd.

The woman nodded, causing the feathers on her hat to shake slightly. "The Sorting Ceremony will begin momentarily."

As she turned and walked towards the doors, a boy with slicked back blonde hair looked to Harry. "It's true then, what they're saying on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts." he looked to the two boys standing beside him. "This is Crabbe and Goyle. And I'm Malfoy. Draco Malfoy."

Ron chuckled as Draco moved to stand in front of Harry. "Think my name's funny, do you? I've no need to ask yours. Red hair and a hand-me-down robe? You must be a Weasley." Draco spat before turning back to Harry, leaving me wondering why everyone was so interested in the boy with glasses. "You'll soon find out that some wizarding families are better than others, Potter. You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there."

Harry glanced down at Draco's outstretched hand and huffed. "I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself, thanks."

Walking back over, the woman in the witch's hat tapped Draco on the shoulder and motioned for him to get back into place. "We're ready for you now," she told us. "Follow me."

As we approached the large set of doors, they swung open without anyone pushing them, and revealed a large room. The first thing I noticed was the four long tables that ran nearly the entire length of the room and were full of kids who eyed us as we walked down the center aisle. At the front of the room was a long table as well, but it ran width-wise and was full of adults.

Hundreds of candles floated in mid-air, bringing light to the room, along with the torches that had been lit on the side walls.

"It's not real, the ceiling." Hermione popped up out of nowhere and pointed up to the ceiling, which just looked like the dark night sky with puffy grey clouds. "It's just bewitched to look like the night sky." she informed us. "I read about it in 'Hogwarts, A History.'"

Upon reaching the front of the room, just in front of the table of adults, the woman stopped us. "Will you wait along here, please?" she motioned for us all to crowd in. "Now, before we begin...Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words."

Rising from his large, golden chair, an older man with a long white beard and maroon coloured robe, that I recognized from Harry's magic card, looked down at all of us in the room. "I have a few start-of-term notices I wish to announce. The first years, please note...that the Dark Forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch, has asked me to remind you...that the third-floor corridor on the right-hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you."