40 | Fireworks

"Even Dumbledore didn't see this coming." Hermione tried to cheer Harry up as we crossed the bridge. "Harry, if it's anyone's fault, it's ours."

Ron nodded. "Yeah, we talked you into it."

"Yeah, but I agreed." Harry was in a funk he couldn't shake. "I tried so hard to help, and all it's done is make things worse. Anyway, that doesn't matter anymore. Because I don't want to play anymore. All it does is make you care too much. And the more you care, the more you have to lose. So maybe it's just better to-"

"To what?" I asked. "Harry, it's caring about things that gives people the will to win."

"To go it alone," Harry answered.

Hearing someone try and get our attention, we looked to the other end of the bridge where Hagrid was standing. Walking over, Hagrid told us to follow him, and we did, but where to we had no clue.

"Any idea where he's taking us?" Harry asked.

I shrugged. "Hagrid, why can't you just tell us?"

Pausing for a moment, we watched as a group of centaurs ran past us in the forest, shaking the ground as their hooves pounded against the dirt. "I've never seen the centaurs so riled." Hagrid said. "And they're dangerous at the best of times. The Ministry restricts their territory much more...they'll have a full uprising on their hands."

"Hagrid, what's going on?" Hermione questioned, her tone serious.

"I'm sorry to be so mysterious, you four." Hagrid apologized. "I wouldn't be bothering you at all with it, but with Dumbledore gone...I'll likely be getting the sack any day now. And I just couldn't leave without telling someone about him."

Just as Hagrid finished speaking, a giant emerged from the trees, and how I hadn't seen him before made me question my eyesight a little. "Grawpy." Hagrid called up to the big guy as he swung around, hearing Hagrid's voice but not know where he was. "Down here, you great buffoon. Grawpy. Brought you some company."

With that, the giant locked onto the four of us and started charging our way. But before he could reach us, the rope he was attached to stopped him from going any further. "I couldn't just leave him, because...because he's my brother." Hagrid sighed.

"Blimey." Ron gawked at the large man who was easily half the size of the trees, and in this Forest the trees went so high up you couldn't even see the tops.

"Well, half brother, really." Hagrid corrected himself. "He's completely harmless, just like I said. Little high-spirited, is all."

Reaching out, Grawpy lifted Hermione into the air, not caring much that she was screaming. "Hagrid, do something," Ron yelled.

"Grawpy, that is not polite!" Hagrid spoke to the giant. "We talked about this. You do not grab, do you? That's your new friend, Hermione."

"Grawp," Hermione spoke sternly to the giant as she pointed her finger at him. "Put me down. Now."

Doing as Hermione said, Grawpy placed her back down on the ground before backing away, a sad look on his large face. "You all right?" I turned to Hermione.

"Fine," she answered. "Just needs a firm hand, is all."

"I think you've got an admirer," Harry said.

Watching as Grawpy sorted through some of his things, Ron tried to stay brave even though his voice was shaky. "You just stay away from her, all right?"

Pulling out the handlebars from a bike, Grawpy rang the bell on it before giving it to Hermione as a gift. "He gets his own food and all," Hagrid explained to us. "It's company he'll be needing when I'm gone. You will look after him, won't you? I'm the only family he's got."