37 | Expelliarmus

Pacing back and forth in front of the fireplace in the common room, Hermione huffed, hating the rules for once in her life, which was rather shocking to see. "That foul, evil, old gargoyle." she stomped her feet as she spun around. "We're not learning how to defend ourselves. We're not learning how to pass our OWLs. She's taking over the entire school."

"Security has been and will remain the Ministry's top priority." Cornelius' voice sounded over the radio as Harry turned the volume up. "Furthermore, we have convincing evidence that these disappearances are the work of notorious mass murderer Sirius Black."

As the fire crackled, someone called Harry's name from the flames. "Sirius." Harry ran over to the recognizable face in the flames. "What are you doing here?"

"Answering your letter," Sirius answered. "You said you were worried about Umbridge. What's she doing? Training you to kill half-breeds?"

Harry shook his head. "Sirius, she's not letting us use magic at all."

"Well, I'm not surprised. The latest intelligence is that Fudge doesn't want you trained in combat."

"Combat?" Ron folded his arms across his chest as he leaned over the back of the couch. "What does he think, we're forming some sort of wizard army?"

"That's exactly what he thinks. That Dumbledore is assembling his own forces to take on the Ministry. He's becoming more paranoid by the minute. The others wouldn't want me telling you this, Harry...but things aren't going at all well with the Order. Fudge is blocking the truth at every turn...and these disappearances are just how it started before. Voldemort is on the move."

Harry stared at his godfather through his glasses. "Well, what can we do?"

"Someone's coming," Sirius said as the sound of a door opening sounded. "I'm sorry I can't be of more help. But for now, at least, it looks like you're on your own."

As the flames died down and Sirius' face disappeared, the four of us walked over to one of the large windows as thunder crashed outside, followed soon after by lightning. "He really is out there, isn't he?" Hermione swallowed hard.

"We've got to be able to defend ourselves." I sighed. "And if Umbridge refuses to teach us how, we need someone who will."

_______________

"This is mad," Harry grumbled as we trudged into town through the snow, the cold wind nipping at our noses. "Who'd wanna be taught by me? I'm a nutter, remember?"

Ron shrugged. "Look on the bright side: you can't be any worse than old toad face."

"Thanks, Ron."

"I'm here for you, mate."

Harry sighed as we approached the empty building that we were going to be using for the meeting. "Who's supposed to be meeting us, then?" Harry asked.

"Just a couple of people," Hermione answered as we opened the creaky door and stepped into the small room with a bar, a table, a strange man and a goat.

"Lovely spot," Ron spoke sarcastically.

Removing my gloves, I rubbed my hands together quickly to warm them up. "We thought it would be safer somewhere off the beaten track."

Once everyone who we had recruited had shown up and gathered inside the small shack, Ron, Hermione, Harry and I sat at the table in the corner, facing the crowd of confused but loyal people.

"Hi." Hermione stood up and faced the people in heavy jackets and winter hats. "So you all know why we're here. We need a teacher. A proper teacher. One who's had experience defending themselves against the Dark Arts."