29 | Fiery Fear

After Harry's name had been chosen from the goblet with no real explanation, he was forced by the rules of the tournament to compete even though he had no interest in doing so. The tournament was dangerous, to put it lightly, and it showed in Harry's eyes over the next few days as he slowly realized what he had unwillingly and unknowingly─having no part in it at all─gotten himself into.

But never the less, all of Harry's friends were rooting for him. Well, everyone except Ron, who still thought that Harry had put his own name in and not told us. It obviously wasn't true, but Ron was too caught up in the possibility of his friend getting the supposed 'eternal glory' instead of him to see reason.

"lt's already been through enough people," Hermione whispered to Ron as we walked down to the lake where Harry was sitting with Neville. "Why don't you just go and talk to him yourself?"

"Ron, this is your problem, not ours." I huffed as Ginny stood by my side, all three of us girls getting pretty sick of Harry and Ron's foolish bickering.

Hermione turned to Ron. "What do you want me to say again?" she asked, getting the sentence from him before walking to Harry. "Ronald would like me to tell you that Seamus told him...that Dean was told by Parvati that Hagrid's looking for you."

"ls that right?" Harry grumbled. "Well, you...what?"

"Dean was told by Parvati that...please don't ask me to say it again. Hagrid's looking for you."

Harry huffed. "Well, you can tell Ronald-"

"l'm not an owl!" Hermione snapped before grabbing Ginny and me and taking off, stomping her feet as we climbed up the leaf-covered hill.

_______________

"There were dragons, Yavana, I'm telling you!" Harry turned to me as we walked through the halls the next morning. He had just finished explaining to me that the night before Hagrid had taken him out to the forest where dragons were being held, courtesy of Ron's brother Charlie.

Of course, he had to find that out from Hagrid as well, as Ron was still giving him the silent treatment. "I'm not saying there weren't dragons," I replied, trying to find a way to word my next question without calling him a liar. "But are you sure they're for the tournament? I mean, I've seen some pretty messed up things since being at Hogwarts, but a stadium full of people watching as a fourteen-year-old boy fights a dragon seems a little unethical to me."

"I'm positive." he nodded as we continued through the halls, the promotional pins people were wearing turning green with a rude message about Harry as we passed by. People called him a cheat in the hall and stopped him just to insult him, which seemed like some sort of middle-school muggle drama bullshit to me.

Following Harry, I stood nearby as he approached Cedric in the green-grassed courtyard. Cedric's friends teased Harry, just like everyone else, as Harry spoke to Cedric a little ways away. "Dragons. That's the first task." Harry warned him. "They've got one for each of us."

Cedric's eyes grew wide. "Are you serious? And Fleur and Krum, do they-"

"Yes." Harry nodded.

"Right." Cedric sighed. "Hey, listen. About the badges. l've asked them not to wear them, but-"

"Don't worry about it," Harry assured him as the two of us headed back the way we had come, spotting Ron walking down the hall with Seamus. Cutting Ron off, Harry glared at him. "You're a right foul git, you know that?"

Ron looked back at Harry with no emotion. "You think so?"

"l know so."

"Anything else?"