9 | Caution to All

Sitting beside Hermione, we talked quietly along with the rest of the class, waiting for our new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher to show up, seeing as the teacher last year was the actual one trying to steal the Philosopher's stone. I had found that out after returning home for the summer and reading it in the paper.

Then, all of a sudden, the door at the top of the stairs swung open and a familiar man stepped out. "Let me introduce you to your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher." he smiled wide. "Me. Gilderoy Lockhart...Order of Merlin, Third Class...honorary member of the Dark Force Defense League and five times winner of Witch Weekly's Most-Charming-Smile Award. But I don't talk about that. I didn't get rid of the Bandon Banshee by smiling at him."

Looking around the room, it seemed as though every single one of the girls was head over heels for this babbling buffoon. The boys, however, were the complete opposite.

"Now, be warned." Lockhart walked over to a small cage with a cloth over top. "It is my job to arm you against the foulest creatures known to wizardkind. You may find yourselves facing your worst fears in this room. Know only that no harm can befall you whilst I am here. I must ask you not to scream. It might provoke them."

With one tug, Lockhart removed the cloth from the cage, revealing about twenty or so little purple creatures. "Cornish pixies?" I laughed, knowing full well what they were and knowing that after defeating a troll, they were nothing.

"Freshly caught Cornish pixies." he corrected. "Laugh if you will, Miss Rookwood...but pixies can be devilishly tricky little blighters. Let's see what you make of them."

Then, without warning, Lockhart opened the cage door and let the little pixies out into the room, where they flew around tugging on people's hair and ripping out pages from books. "Come on now, round them up," Lockhart told us. "They're only pixies."

However, no matter how small they were, Cornish pixies were cheeky little devils, and they proved that by lifting Neville up and hanging him from the chandelier by his robe.

"Peskipiksi Pesternomi!" Lockhart tried to stop the situation after noticing it getting out of control, but before he could finish the spell, one of the pixies stole his wand.

Soon after, the large skeleton that had once been hanging from the ceiling came crashing down, nearly squashing me as I slid over to the others.

"I'll ask you four to just nip the rest of them back into their cage," Lockhart told us as he ran up the stairs and out of the room, leaving us there to deal with the pixies ourselves.

"Screw this." I huffed and pulled out my wand. "Immobulus!"

After casting the spell, the pixies stopped moving and started slowly floating through the air, causing no harm now. "Why is it always me?" Neville sighed as he hung from the chandelier, swaying slightly.

After rounding the pixies back up and settling them safely back in their cage, we all headed out of class, not really expecting our wussy teacher to show back up any time soon.

Sitting in the courtyard with Ron and Hermione, I started reading one of the 'extra' books that my parents had bought for me while the other two studied. The book was good so far, and I had to admit, my parents did buy books mostly based on Mythical Creatures, which was my favourite subject.

Glancing up for a moment to give my eyes a break, I spotted the Slytherin and Gryffindor Quidditch teams standing in the middle of the grass. "I smell trouble." Ron gulped, noticing it too.

Standing up, we walked over just in time to hear Wood, the Gryffindor captain, read out a note. "'I, Professor Severus Snape, do hereby give the Slytherin team permission to practice today, owing to the need to train their new Seeker.' You've got a new Seeker. Who?"