18 | The Grim

After stepping off the boats when arriving at Hogwarts, we all piled into one of the self-pulling wagons that took us up to the school. It was still raining pretty hard, so naturally my hair was soaking wet by the time we made it inside.

Luckily, though, I was able to use a simple spell to dry off before we were all required to meet in the Dining Hall. Before we ate, the school choir sang the classic song 'Double Trouble.' When the song finished and the choir had cleared out, Dumbledore walked up to the golden owl podium to bring a start to yet another school year.

"Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts." he held his hands up for everyone to settle down. "Now, I'd like to say a few words before we all become too befuddled by our excellent feast. First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R.J. Lupin, who's kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Good luck, professor."

Another year, another Dark Arts teacher. There was a very interesting pattern forming. "Of course. That's why he knew to give you the chocolate, Harry." Hermione spoke over the applause.

"Potter," Draco called from his table next to us. "Is it true you fainted? I mean, you actually fainted?"

"Shove off, Malfoy," Ron grumbled.

Turning back to us, Harry seemed a little confused and agitated. "How did he find out?"

"Just forget it." the three of us shrugged it off, hoping that Harry wouldn't bother with Draco too much.

"Our Care of Magical Creatures teacher has decided to retire in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs." Dumbledore continued, bringing me slight sadness. I had liked the teacher for Care of Magical Creatures, and even though the class would be new for us this year, I was looking forward to being taught by the old teacher. "Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be taken by none other than our own Rubeus Hagrid."

My slight frown turned to an instant smile. Having one of my favourite teachers teach one of my new favourite classes was going to hopefully make this year awesome.

Dumbledore nodded. "Finally, on a more disquieting note...at the request of the Ministry of Magic...Hogwarts will, until further notice, play host to the Dementors of Azkaban...until such a time as Sirius Black is captured. The Dementors will be stationed at every entrance to the grounds. Now whilst I've been assured that their presence will not disrupt our day-to-day activities...a word of caution. Dementors are vicious creatures. They will not distinguish between the one they hunt and the one who gets in their way. Therefore, I must warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. It is not in the nature of a Dementor to be forgiving. But you know, happiness can be found...even in the darkest of times...if one only remembers to turn on the light."

Once the speeches had been done and we had all had enough food to feed an entire country, we headed up to our common rooms for the night where we could relax and catch up with friends that we hadn't seen in a while.

While Harry, Ron, Neville, Seamus, and Dean went to the boys' dorm to do who knows what, Hermione and I headed to the girls' dorm where we just talked about our summers.

"I think you'll like this one." Hermione handed me a book she had been telling me about. "I finished it over the summer, so there's no rush for you to return it."

Taking the book from her, I chuckled as I sat it on my bedside table, where it would probably sit for the entire year. "Sounds like you had a wonderful break." I sat at the top of my bed while Hermione sat at the bottom.

Hermione nodded. "I did. What about you? I heard you spent quite a lot of time with the Weasleys."

"Oh, yes." I laughed, having way too many stories to tell. "My dad and Ron's dad are best friends and it's like they're back in school again. I was always over there, so naturally, Ginny and I hid away in her room while the boys did whatever it was that they did."