5 | Golden Snitch

Tapping my quill quietly against my desk, I stared at the words on my paper as the Professor finished up his speech about useful and common skills for a wizard to know. My classes were going well so far, and I wasn't doing too bad, but I just felt that all these spells were a lot to remember.

Say this, pronounce it like that, flick your wrist up, point your fingers down. It was a lot of 'do this,' 'do that' and sometimes it got a little overwhelming. Especially when Hermione got almost everything on the first go. She was a natural.

"One of a wizard's most rudimentary skills is levitation...or the ability to make objects fly." the short man with a white beard spoke as he stood atop a pile of books and a chair so he could be seen by the class. "Do you have your feathers? Good. Now, don't forget the nice wrist movement we've been practicing. The swish and flick. Everyone."

Picking up our wands, we all repeated the swish and flick movement that we had been taught. "Good." he nodded. "Oh, and enunciate. Wingardium Leviosa. Off you go, then."

Adjusting my grip on my wand, I stared at the white feather sitting on the desk in front of me. "Wingardium Leviosa," I said, swishing and flicking my wand as I did so, and miraculously getting the feather to float a few inches off of the table before it dropped back down.

"Wingardium Leviosar," Ron said before shaking his wand furiously at the feather, angry that it wasn't working.

Holding her hand out, Hermione stopped him. "No, stop, stop, stop! You're going to take someone's eye out. Besides, you're saying it wrong. It's 'Leviosa,' not 'Leviosar.'"

Ron huffed. "You do it then if you're so clever. Go on, go on."

"Wingardium Leviosa." Hermione flicked her wand at the feather and completing the spell which lifted her feather much higher into the air than mine had gone.

"Well done!" the Professor gushed. "See here, everyone, Miss Granger's done it! Splendid! Well done, dear."

Just then, an explosion came from the desk of the kid who had been trying to turn his water to rum a few days before. "I think we're going to need another feather over here." Harry stared wide-eyed at the smoke coming from the charred feather.

As class came to an end, I met with Harry, Ron, Seamus, and Dean as they made their way out to the courtyard. "'It's Leviosa, not Leviosar.'" Ron mocked Hermione. "She's a nightmare, honestly! No wonder she hasn't got any friends."

Seconds later, Hermione pushed past Ron and stormed off. "I think she heard you," I said before rushing off after Hermione. It took me a while to locate her, and I would surely be missing the Halloween feast planned for that evening, but if I hoped to have any good friends of my own in the school, it would do me good to comfort an upset girl.

Finally, I found her in one of the bathrooms crying in a stall. "Hermione." I stood just outside the stall door. "I'm sure Ron didn't mean what he said. He's just a boy, and boys can─well, boys can suck."

"How would you know?" Hermione shouted back. "They both seem pretty fond of you."

"The boys in my old town weren't very fond of me, though," I told her, feeling as though it might make her feel better to know that she wasn't alone. "I used to sit inside and watch them play without me. You, Ron, and Harry are the first proper friends that I've had in a long while."

"Really?"

I nodded, even though she couldn't see me through the door. "Please come out. I hear the Halloween feast is going to be amazing, so we probably shouldn't miss the whole thing."

Finally, Hermione exited the stall and wiped her eyes. Smiling, I held out my hand for her to take and we turned to exit the bathroom. However, there was something very large standing in our way that neither of us had noticed until then.