30 | One, Two, Three

Resting my head in my arms on the table, I mouthed the words of a spell I was desperately trying to remember. I usually wasn't bad with the pronunciation of spells, but for some reason I just couldn't get this one for transfiguration class right and it was killing me.

"Is it 'levi' or 'leevi'?" I groaned, looked up at Harry who was in no means paying attention to me at all. Instead, he was gazing across the room at a girl, Cho, I believe her name was. "Earth to Harry!" I tried to snap him out of it, but it was no use.

"Look at this!" Hermione sat down beside me and furiously flipped through the newspaper in her hands. "l can't believe it! She's done it again. 'Miss Granger, a plain but ambitious girl...seems to be developing a taste for famous wizards. Her latest prey, sources report...is none other than the Bulgarian bonbon, Viktor Krum. No word yet on how Harry Potter's taking this latest emotional blow.'"

Finally, Harry snapped out of it and turned back to us, but he didn't care much about what was in the paper. His arm was in a sling, courtesy of the dragon most likely, and his face was still a little banged up. But other than that, he wasn't dead, so I'd say he was pretty great.

"Parcel for you, Mr. Weasley." one of the younger boys walked over with a large box in his hands.

Taking the package, Ron nodded. "Thank you, Nigel." Ron started to open the package before noticing Nigel staring at Harry. "Not now, Nigel. Later. Go on."

"What was that all about?" I chuckled as I watched the poor little boy storm off.

"l told him l'd get him Harry's autograph," Ron answered as he opened the box, pulling out something brown and lacy. "Oh, look, Mum's sent me something. Mum sent me a dress."

Looking up at him, I had to contain myself from bursting out laughing. Whatever it was, it was hideous. "Well, it does match your eyes." Harry reached into the box. "ls there a bonnet?"

"Nose down, Harry." Ron huffed as he turned to his sister. "Ginny, these must be for you."

Taking one look at the outfit, Ginny scrunched up her nose in disgust. "l'm not wearing that, it's ghastly."

Before long, Hermione was laughing as well as people from other tables started to stare at Ron's new clothes. "They're not for Ginny," she told him. "They're for you. Dress robes."

That got a laugh out of everyone, including Fred and George who enjoyed very much seeing their brother suffer. "Dress robes?" Ron gasped. "For what?"

Sitting in a small classroom that had been cleared out, pushing the benches to the sides, McGonagall had girls sit on one side while boys sat on the other. There was a record player in the middle of the room that Filch was trying to get working, but other than that, empty space.

All members of Gryffindor were there, indicating that whatever was going on was going to be important.

"The Yule Ball has been a tradition of the Triwizard Tournament since its inception," McGonagall told us. "On Christmas Eve night, we and our guests gather in the Great Hall for a night of well-mannered frivolity. As representatives of the host school l expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward. And l mean this literally, because the Yule Ball is, first and foremost a dance."

Almost immediately the room was split into two reactions. The girls, who turned to their friends with smiles on their faces, and the boys, who leaned back and groaned. To be fair though, dances were more stressful on guys than girls, I believed. Guys were usually the ones to ask the girls out, and if they didn't go with anyone to the dance, chances are they would get made fun of.

"Silence!" McGonagall held her hands up. "The house of Godric Gryffindor has commanded the respect of the wizarding world for nearly ten centuries. l will not have you, in the course of a single evening, besmirching that name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons. Now, to dance is to let the body breathe. lnside every girl, a secret swan slumbers longing to burst forth and take flight. lnside every boy, a lordly lion prepared to prance. Mr. Weasley."