20 | Insufferable Know-It-All

Heading down the stairs, skipping every second step, I rushed through the castle and out to where everyone else was meeting, the small slip of paper folded in my hand. We were heading to some village as a sort of field trip of sorts, and although it didn't sound spectacular, I wasn't going to miss it.

Of course, that was before I stupidly forgot my permission form by my bed that morning.

"Remember, these visits to Hogsmeade village are a privilege," McGonagall announced as I ran over and handed her my form. "Should your behaviour reflect poorly on the school...that privilege shall not be extended again."

Harry, who's uncle had refused to sign the form over the summer, walked over. "No permission form signed, no visiting the village." McGonagall reminded him. "That's the rule, Potter."

Looking down at his clipboard, Filch sighed. "Those with permission, follow me. Those without, stay put."

Looking to McGonagall, Harry pleaded with his eyes. "I thought if you signed it, then I could..."

"I can't." she shook her head,."Only a parent or a guardian can sign. Since I am neither, it would be inappropriate. I'm sorry, Potter. That's my final word."

Crossing our arms, Ron, Hermione, and I looked to Harry, upset that he wouldn't be joining us on the trip. "Forget about it, guys." Harry waved as he walked off. "See you later."

Even though Harry couldn't join us, the village ended up being quite amazing. We were allowed to go into a bunch of different shops, so it was sort of just like a day out for the third years.

After returning back to school, we all headed back to our common rooms. "Honeyduke's Sweetshop is brilliant, but nothing beats Zonko's Joke Shop," Ron told Harry all about our day. "We never got to go to the Shrieking Shack. You heard it's the most haunted building in Britain."

"I know." Harry huffed as we spotted a group of Gryffindors outside of the common room entrance.

"What's going on?" I cocked a brow as the staircase swung us around.

Ron grumbled. "Probably Neville forgot the password again."

"Hey," Neville spoke up from the back of our group.

"Oh, you're there."

As the staircase met up with the platform, we really couldn't go anywhere as the pack outside the entrance continued to grow larger with disgruntled Gryffindors. "Let me through, please." Percy pushed his way through the crowd. "Excuse me! I'm Head Boy! Get back, all of you. No one is to enter this dormitory until it's been searched."

"The Fat Lady! She's gone!" Ginny walked over to us, mentioning the woman who was usually present in the painting that also served as the entrance to the common room.

Ron scoffed as we got a look at the torn-up painting. "Serves her right. She was a terrible singer."

"It's not funny, Ron," Hermione told him as the other paintings started freaking out.

"Keep calm, everyone. Break into fours. Back to your common room." Percy instructed those who had gathered from other houses. "Be quiet. Make way. The headmaster's here."

Pushing past us, Dumbledore held the bottom of his robe up so he wouldn't trip. "Come on, move. You heard. Move!" he stopped dead in his tracks as he and Filch stared at the painting. "Mr. Filch? Round up the ghosts. Tell them to search every painting in the castle to find the Fat Lady.

"There's no need for ghosts, professor. The Fat Lady's there." Filch pointed to another one of the paintings across the room, causing everyone to rush over to it. Once there, we gazed upon the picture of a hippopotamus in the wild, with the lady hiding behind it.