32 | Hold Your Breath

"Harry, you told us you'd figured the egg out weeks ago." Hermione snapped as we stood on top of the bridge, overlooking the water below. "The task is two days from now."

"Really? l had no idea." Harry grumbled, just as frustrated as Hermione and I were. "l suppose Viktor's already figured it out."

Hermione shrugged as she tightened the scarf around her neck slightly. "Wouldn't know. We don't actually talk about the tournament. Actually, we don't really talk at all. Viktor's more of a physical being. l just mean he's not particularly loquacious. Mostly, he watches me study. lt's a bit annoying, actually."

Harry chuckled along with us. "You are trying to figure this egg out, aren't you?" I asked him.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"lt just means these tasks are designed to test you...in the most brutal way." I sighed, wrapping my arms around my body to stay warm. "They're almost cruel. And-"

"We're scared for you," Hermione told him. "You got by the dragons mostly on nerve. l'm not sure it's going to be enough this time."

Just then, someone called Harry's name. Spotting Cedric, Harry sighed and tried to walk away. "Potter!" Cedric caught up to him.

"Cedric," Harry replied.

"How-how are you?"

Harry furrowed his brows, wondering why Cedric was asking him how he was doing. "Spectacular."

"Look, I realize l never really thanked you properly for tipping me off about those dragons," Cedric told him.

Harry nodded. "Forget about it. l'm sure you would've done the same for me."

"Exactly. You know the Prefects' bathroom on the fifth floor? lt's not a bad place for a bath. Just take your egg...and mull things over in the hot water."

_______________

The next night, after Harry had taken the egg into the bath and figured out the riddle─or most of it─we all met in the library to try and come up with a strategy of some sort.

It was a little awkward being around Ron though as I still hadn't told him, or anyone really, about what had happened with George at the Yule Ball. I mean, we'd kissed and that was pretty much it, but we'd met up a few times since then. The only person who knew anything was Hermione, and even then I had only told her that we had had a good time.

It was all a little confusing, but I knew I liked George, more now than ever.

"Harry, tell me again." Hermione started to pace.

"'Come seek us where our voices sound.'" Harry started repeating the song that the egg had played when opened under the water.

Hermione nodded. "The Black Lake, that's obvious."

"'An hour-long you'll have to look.'"

"Again, obvious. Though, admittedly, potentially problematic."

Lifting his head off the book he had been using as a pillow, Harry scoffed. "Potentially problematic? When's the last time you held your breath underwater for an hour, Hermione?"

"Look, Harry, we can do this," I assured him, trying not to lose hope. "The four of us can figure it out."

As the door opened, Professor Moody walked in. "Hate to break up the skull session. Professor McGonagall wants you in her office."

Harry went to stand, but Moody shook his head. "Not you, Potter, just Weasley and Granger."

Hermione's eyes widened. "But, sir, the second task is only hours away, and-"